Help for building display stand Occre Ulyses

MY SUGESTION FOR DISPLAY CASES. THEY ARE EXTREMLY EXPENSIVE VERY EXPENSIVE, SO WHAT I DID WAS GO TO PETCO AND GOT SOME AQUARIUMS OF DIFFERENT SIZES TURNED THEM UPSIDE DOWN AND USED DOUBLE FACE TAPE. INSTAPE DISPLAY CASE YOU CAN MAKE IT BETTER BY ADDING SOME EXOTIC WOOD THE SIZE OF THE DISPLAY CASE AND SOME DOUBLE FACE TAPE COST RANGE $6.00 TO $55.00 JUST ME. GOD BLESSV STAY SAFE ALL DON

Don. Thank you so much for your response. I’ll visit PETCO. I’m particularly interested in how I can build a good looking cradle for this boat. So that the hull and keel fit neatly and that the boat will sit upright. Best, Richard

I'm noticing that all the Covid "sneeze guards" in retail outlets are coming down. At least in my area. A guy should be able to get pieces of Plexiglass pretty reasonably.

I'm noticing that all the Covid "sneeze guards" in retail outlets are coming down. At least in my area. A guy should be able to get pieces of Plexiglass pretty reasonably.
LOL. Thank you for your response. I’m particularly interested in how I can build a good looking cradle for this boat. So that the hull and keel fit neatly and that the boat will sit upright. Best, Richard

Thanks Don. I’ll work it out from here, or, maybe just use the Dumas stand (I used one for my Chris Craft ‘49) which is essentially a plexiglass upside down “thing a ma jig” $40. ugh!

It's too late now, but it is best to plan ahead for the cradle, While the hull can still be turned upside down on the workbench is when I take my measurements and build my cradle so it can be test fit.

I’ve always believed that if you have the skill and talent to build a wood ship model, you have the skill to build a case for you model because of the ridiculous prices charged to have a case built, I’ve always built my own cases it’s not that difficult.

NO IT IS NOT THAT DIFICULT, BUT SOME OF OLDIES, LIKE ME, IN A WHEEL CHAIR OR OTHER AGEING PROBLEMS CAN NOT DO THAT ANYMORE. SOLUTION OFF TO PETCO TO GET AQUARIUMS 20GAL TO 55GAL $6.00 TO$55.00 THROW IN SOME FANCY WOOD AS A BASE DONE FINISHED, PROBLEM SOLVED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL. DON

It's too late now, but it is best to plan ahead for the cradle, While the hull can still be turned upside down on the workbench is when I take my measurements and build my cradle so it can be test fit.
Thanks. Great idea. I’ll remember to trace my frames for my next model.

What I do is use the die-cut or laser cutouts for the hull frames (photo), if the hull is planked or sheeted. This is a good way to put some of this "wastage" to good use. You must enlarge this outline a bit to allow for the hull planking and keel, but right there you have the exact hull x-section outline at various points along the hull. After making templates, find a nice hardwood in 1/4 or 2/3 thickness, cut the outline in a jig saw or band saw, and you have the uprights for an attractive cradle (photo).
84B3D748-E31B-4E09-960A-564BE1BE4671_1_201_a.jpegtempImageBnhYxB.png

Another suggestion to cover them are sports trophy displays from Michaels or hobby lobby. they often have great coupons for bigger savings here is a trophy case used to hold a football that I put a 1:12 mercury space capsule into. I believe it cost me less then $10. I scratch-built the cradle it is resting on from styrene and foam board.
IMG_6174.jpeg

IMG_6175.jpeg

What I do is use the die-cut or laser cutouts for the hull frames (photo), if the hull is planked or sheeted. This is a good way to put some of this "wastage" to good use. You must enlarge this outline a bit to allow for the hull planking and keel, but right there you have the exact hull x-section outline at various points along the hull. After making templates, find a nice hardwood in 1/4 or 2/3 thickness, cut the outline in a jig saw or band saw, and you have the uprights for an attractive cradle (photo).
View attachment 318938View attachment 318939
Yep that is exactly what I did. The Occre Endeavour also did not come with a display base and even if it did I suspect it would have been thin and flimsy. I used the cutouts as a pattern and shaped some American Oak to produce a stand which I lined with black felt. The stand was also very useful to hold the model during the construction phase.

klyall_modelbase_1.jpg

Yep that is exactly what I did. The Occre Endeavour also did not come with a display base and even if it did I suspect it would have been thin and flimsy. I used the cutouts as a pattern and shaped some American Oak to produce a stand which I lined with black felt. The stand was also very useful to hold the model during the construction phase.

View attachment 319777
Thank you for the tip. Next time I’ll do it instead of tossing the waste.

View attachment 318938View attachment 318939
Thanks Don for the advice. I enjoyed your thread on the Ulysses.

Just to expand a bit on my earlier comment, whether you mount a model to a base with pedestals or in a cradle, it is a good idea to secure the model to the mounting with a pin or screw of some kind inserted into holes drilled into the keel. For plank on bulkhead models the best time to do this is before the bulkheads are glued to the keel piece.

To get the mounting angle right, I clamp the keel piece in a vice at the angle of the waterline and then drill the holes on a drill press as shown in the attached photo. There other ways for doing this, but the important point is not wait until the model is almost done before thinking about how you will mount it.
IMG_1902 2.jpeg

Back