Hello there!

Hello SOS!

I am Mike, or TheSpoonkosch as thats my most used "online" name. I was born 1998, so i am relatively young considering that most people pick up the hobby a fair bit later in life :p
Coming from Germany my english wont be the best and i will probably use odd wording, so if anything isnt clear feel free to ask.

I am fairly green in regards to wooden model ships, in the past i mainly did tabletop or model train building, the latter i got introduced to by my father.

Currently i have one sort of finished boat and one thats heavily under construction.
The first ,that is sort of finished, is the "Two Sail Bateau 'Skipjack'" named "E.C. Collier". Originally i got the idea to build a wooden modelship while listening to the audibooks of "Jack Aubrey and Steven Maturin". I really wanted to build the "Sophie" and the "Surprise", but after some research i figuered id rather start with something more "introductory", which turned out to be the "Skipjack". I got the idea for the "Skipjack" while searching for some ship-plans and ended up finding [https://www.themodelshipwright.com/] who has a ton of very good high quality ship plans available for free. I basically downloaded every single ship plan available^^ I will probably make a small post for the "Skipjack", though i sadly didnt document the building process.

The current active project is an "interpretation" of the "CSS Wilmington", a ship from the (american) civil war. As the "CSS" implies it was build by the Confederacy, in the port of Wilmington. It never gotten really far beyond the first few steps of laying her down, because she was burned to prevent capture by the north.
I will start a build-log for her, though i started documenting her relatively late in the construction, i want to start documenting her from this point forward.

As a general note of thanks, i really appreciate all the build-logs and resources available in this forum. I found my way here while looking for some plans for a "Higgins PT-Boat" which i actually found a helpful post about.

Back