Hello. I’m new to the forum.

Looking for a recommendation. Torn between Calderdale H.M.S. SNAKE or Amati Pegasus. Any advice?
Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I guess you mean the "Caldercraft" HMS Snake, or?

I built by myself several kits from Caldercraft and they are of very good quality, also the manuals and drawings.
I think the Snake is one of the earlier developed kits, but I am sure still a good quality kit.
The same I heart about the Pegasus from Amati, which is a later development.
I think really it is a question of taste and personal interest.
The HMS Snake as a sloop with 18 carronades
The Snake kit has been designed with the novice / intermediate builder in mind and is ideal as a first or second model for the introduction to plank on frame building.
text taken from Jotika page
http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_3.htm
The HMS Pegasus is a nice Swan class sloop with 14 6pdr guns
Both kits have copper plating
Maybe the Pegasus is a slightly more modern kit, but I am pretty sure, that both are worth the money.
Independent of your decision - we would be more than happy to see either this or that model in a building log - Would be great

Welcome aboard. While I can't comment on either of the two kits mentioned - having no experience with either one - from what Uwek has said I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. It's all a matter of personal preference. Check out some of the build logs here and see which one looks like the one you wish to start with. Then if you get stuck, ask questions. This really is a helpful bunch of folks here.

I think Uwe explain everything exceptionally well. I do not have anything to add. I look forward to hearing which decision you make. Let us know.

Welcome to the SoS forums, have fun and look around.

Please start a build log on current ship, and if you need help with any issue just post a question and others here will help.

Use search to enter ships name and see what else has been said or completed on your ship, same with questions on new ships, maybe someone else has a build log and can tell about the kits.

Hey Robster,
That is a gorgeous ship.!! I love the lines. Nice history in the writeup too. Are you living in the UK.?? Should be easy to get if you are. Maybe not so easy for us “westerners”.!!
Good Luck and please do a build log for us. I want to see and learn more about that ship.!!

Yes I’m UK based. Not sure when I will get round to starting her but I’ll get a log going. May need some help with the colours. The only criticism I could find on line about this kit was the lack of colour scheme in the instruction manual.

Back