Hello from South Africa. Sort of...

Welcome Quintin, ever thought of building a small Billings model whilst offshore?
Retired North Sea tiger - no sea too rough…….

I thought a "shellback" was a guy who had crossed the equator in the US Navy. I probably have that wrong since I was in the Army.
I thought a "shellback" was a guy who had crossed the equator in the US Navy. I probably have that wrong since I was in the Army.
You are correct Norgale but just not seafarers from the US Navy. I myself have crossed the equator many times after going to sea at 16 after being in the British Merchant Navy, the Royal Navy and back to the Merchant Navy. I have one of my Crossing the Line certificates proudly displayed in my man shed after being brought before the court of King Neptune so hence my pen name on the Ships of Scale web site.

Well I guess I wasn't that far off after all. Great to have you with us Shellback. Interesting story too.

My grandfather was in the Royal Navy as a signalman a long time ago. His father was in the British Coast Guard at the Heath barracks near Dymchurch on the South coast. Pete

Well I guess I wasn't that far off after all. Great to have you with us Shellback. Interesting story too.

My grandfather was in the Royal Navy as a signalman a long time ago. His father was in the British Coast Guard at the Heath barracks near Dymchurch on the South coast. Pete
Your guess was spot on Pete and thank you for your welcome. I retired 8 years ago and my last few years of work was tied to a desk ashore which I never liked. Since retiring I find there is not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do! I just looked online regarding the Dymchurch barracks or redoubt, interesting history with being built during the Napoleonic Wars. Mike.

Wow! I didn't know you could do that. I need to take a look there myself and see if I can find my grandfathers name and my great Grandfather too. They were both in the guard but I don't think they were there together. My grandfather, Henry McGill, jumped ship from the Royal Navy supposedly when his ship docked in Canada. He came to America with some friends after that. His father, Arthur, retired from the Guard in good standing as far as I know. I have been led to believe that Henry also served on the Victory before his immigration. (From a page of his background I have somewhere.) I'd love to find out more about Henry. He left England because at that time most people were born into a class from which it was almost impossible to move up. You were what you were and that was it. Henry was far more ambitious than that and came to America to succeed where he couldn't have in England of the day. He got into the jewelry business in Massachusetts and became very successful during his life time. He lived until he was 74 and was never able to see his parents or siblings again. Big decision for a 19 year old kid I think. Thanks for the tip on the Dymchurch barracks. Pete.

Wow! I didn't know you could do that. I need to take a look there myself and see if I can find my grandfathers name and my great Grandfather too. They were both in the guard but I don't think they were there together. My grandfather, Henry McGill, jumped ship from the Royal Navy supposedly when his ship docked in Canada. He came to America with some friends after that. His father, Arthur, retired from the Guard in good standing as far as I know. I have been led to believe that Henry also served on the Victory before his immigration. (From a page of his background I have somewhere.) I'd love to find out more about Henry. He left England because at that time most people were born into a class from which it was almost impossible to move up. You were what you were and that was it. Henry was far more ambitious than that and came to America to succeed where he couldn't have in England of the day. He got into the jewelry business in Massachusetts and became very successful during his life time. He lived until he was 74 and was never able to see his parents or siblings again. Big decision for a 19 year old kid I think. Thanks for the tip on the Dymchurch barracks. Pete.
Some Facebook pages as well which may help with your research - this one has plenty of photos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/352305142227075/posts/1065914410866141/

As many times as I have looked up Dymchurch I never knew that FB had a page for them. Must be fairly new as there aren't very many posts. Good tip Mike. Thanks very much.

Back