Hello from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan Canada

Good Morning everyone my name is Don, I joined SoS a few days ago and thought it appropriate to introduce myself.
I found out about this forum mainly from another newer member and good friend, Mike Shanks, and I Thank Mike for giving me the heads up to this forum.

Myself I have been building wooden ships for a little over two years now and in that time I have bought a mill, lathe, mini table saw, disc sander, thickness sander, scroll saw, ropewalk, serving machine and various other "must have" tools and of course the closet is very much overstocked with kits. Having no live in Admiral is, at times, certainly a problem when it comes to purchasing new toys and kits :D :D
In the past two years I have completed the MS Armed Virginia Sloop, AL's Mayflower, Amati's Trabacollo, Amati's carriage, MarisStella's Pasara and a Dusek's ship's boat.
Currently I am working on MarisStella's Trabakul (working on rigging now and should be finished very soon), MarisStella's Barque Stefano (still Planking), Amati's Pegasus and the Optimist from MarisStella which will be completed today or tomorrow.
I see lots of familiar names here a good friend DocBlake(Dave), Zoltan(and I see he still hasn't finished his Santa Maria ;-) ) and many others. It will be good to renew these friendships and I'll be looking forward to making many more.

Take care
Don

Hello Don,good to see you here,i gues you ate going to enjoy this forum.I am a little slow in the shipyard in the last few months but I will get finished my current build some time ,also have another projct Hms Ontario starting soon .

Also you can reshare your finished build logs here too,I am currently sharing my Avs too slowly.

Hi Don!! So glad you joined!! For only building wooden ships for 2 years you sure do seem to get spectacular results! Share a few pics of some of your finished models in the "Completed Builds" section. I put a couple of mine there as well. Doc Blake is out of town this weekend but will be posting by Monday I'm sure. Looking forward to your next new project!!

Hi Don,

Good to see you over here as well. I joined just a few days before you did. Good to see that the best and nicest model shipbuilders are members of SOS.
Anyway, just wanted to give you a shout out myself. By the way, I've been hard at work on the Endeavour masting and rigging and hope to have that done and the practicum on it released by the end of the year. I've begun the running rigging now and have to yardarms attached on the fore mast.

Take care,

Bob

Don

Yes there is a limit

Donnie has done a YouTube Video in the General Board/Forum area. That should help you. If you are still unsure after watching the video please get back to me. There is a link to a online compression program within the topic

http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=22011&sid=23465bb49bf4f69ff12a1f148005ad04#p22011

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Don,

I use Adobe Photoshop to reduce my images. First I reduce their dimension to 800 x 600 pixels. Then I save them as JPG with a compression ratio that produces a file less than 70k bytes. That seems to work real well as all of the photos I've posted are pretty good size when viewed on the forum and still not bad quality.

Hope that helps,

Bob

Welcome to this forum. I have been a member since early on and Donnie has done a great job with this site. He runs it from his home, works a full time job and still finds time to build some incredible models. I have spoke with him several times and he is truly a nice person. He loves this hobby and will go out of his way to help others. You will love being a member here since people do not judge and if they make comments, it is in the spirit of helping you become a better modeler. This hobby has so much to learn that nobody can know it all and the variety is almost unlimited. Enjoying and sharing is what is important.

I know some of what you are saying Bob. When anyone can buy a set of plans without buying the kit and can use those plans to build a model, is that considered copying or stealing. The idea is to make something that resembles the original ship. If 30 people build a model from those plans and they all look the same, doesn't that mean it must be a good set of plans, since now one seemed to think it needed modifying.
However, if a company takes those plans, changes the scale, sets up all the tools to build a new kit from their new scale of plans, writes instructions on how to build their kit, should it not mean the same thing? ie: a good set of plans put out by the first company. The end result is that now modelers have a choice of which version to build and money spent on that version tells if it was an improvement in the hobby industry.
In my case, I did not like the San Felipe that Mantua offered, but ZHL's larger scale I chose to buy. The casting on their cannons, the incredible instructions with each of the hundreds of steps needed to build it, with pictures of each step, and quality of the wood made this a great choice. The only problem is that all the rigging line came in many colors (color coded to help new modelers I guess). Thus I will have to use after market line. Since Mantua only sends three sizes of rigging line, I have to substitute almost all their line with after market products. Thus, almost no change except a bigger model that makes rigging easier and allows extra detailing and clarity.

thats like I got the swan class drawings and books and if i creat4e a set plans from them they say I am stealing? they drew admiralty style drawings ie in my book reference drawings that are the base for every ship. if i take those draw up real plans with instructions all the little parts and all the stuff not shown on their drawings how can that be stealing. isnt that the same thing they did when they redrew the originals lol at least people on this site have common sense and care about the hobby and getting young and new people into it

As an ex kit producer myself the answer to your copyright is that if you have a 10% OVERALL change to a design it null and voids the infringement. but just rescaling isnt enough to cover it it needs to be a 10 % coverall change to the design. and looking at many things the chinese and others are doing its def a 10% change.

what comes into play after the 10% is personal ethics whether the person thinks its right to take someone elses work and redo it etc etc.

so thats the little caveat on how they get around the copyright law and why the other side needs to stop complaining abt copyright

Don: In my introduction I think I mentioned having built the Pasara but in fact I should have said the Batelina. I heavily bashed the kit but it was loads of fun to build and it turned out to be a fantastic model. Unfortunately, after having a few drinks, one night I gave it away to a lady friend. As bad as this may seem it is all good as she has given me full visitation rights without any prior notifications required :D . I still have all the pictures from the build and a 8 x 10 photo on the counter to remind me of it.
Do you have the Ragusian Galley or the Galleon? I ask because I have personally re-written many of the instructions for some of the MarisStella kits. If the instructions are not new ones(in the past 6 months) let me know, although, I don't remember doing either one of these I would gladly get the instructions from Zoran and re-do them for you, if this would help you out.
The Optimist I just finished yesterday and I will be doing her photo shoot today then sending the pictures to Zoran(MarisStella), this is a entry level kit but was still lots of fun to build and gives the grey matter(not my hair) a little rest from some of the more complex models. The instructions have been re-done so check and see if you have the new ones, if not email Zoran and he would be happy to email you the new ones.
My next brain resting project will be the Pasara, with this I will build two, one straight from the kit and one heavily bashed. I am fighting the urge to start this until I get some other projects finished :lol:

Hi Don, it is the RAGUSIAN GALLEY and i got it quite some time ago over maybe about a year ago, just not enough details, especially for the deck plan, anything would help, ANY COSTS TO YOU I WOULD GLADLEY REIMBURSE. THANKS Don

Back