hello from Maine

Hello I am a new member.

I finally retired and have the time to get going. I started several builds over the past 10 years but none float yet.

I started at large scale and ultimately look to replicate Downeast large schooners. At 300 feet that would mean over10 feet models so oops. I am starting by trying some kits at 1/4 scale to learn techniques. Plans are typically at 1/8 scale. I find these forums very helpful as I will touch most issues.

jond

Hello jond! Glad to have you aboard. I haven't seen too many big schooners modeled, so it'll be really great to see your work progress. What kits have you started? Are you planning on finishing these? Or are they more experiments on technique?

What big schooner are you working your way towards modeling? I know there's at least one interesting looking kit out there and then the Anatomy of a Ship book.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you on the forums!

Clare

Welcome aboard. Gaining experience is the name of the game in this hobby. There are people here that cxan help answer any questions you might have to help you learn. Enjoy.

Welcome,
Can you post some pics of your started projects, would be great to see them
THX
J :cool:

Welcome to SOS jond ! :text-welcomewave:

A great group of folks here (and quite knowledgeable at that).

Donnie

Hello Jond,
A large Maine schooner model would only be ten feet long if you built it to a large scale! As far as I am concerned, kits are ruled out. They are too large, too expensive and too difficult to assemble, apart from never straying far from Napoleonic or earlier subjects.
Here is a model of the giant schooner Wyoming that I built some years ago using plans from the book A Shipyard in Maine.
This type of model is ideal for a beginner because the rigging, although repetitive, is very simple. This one is rigged with wire, so there were no fiddly knots to mess about with!
This is an extreme example. If you wish to sail the model, there is no reason why you can't build it any physical size you wish. As long as it is in proportion, it will be OK.
Bob

Attachments

• Wyoming (Medium).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 2,852
wow the Wyoming.

there is a new model presented last year at the Maine maritime in 1/8th scale. when I studied it, I felt it was too small a scale if I wanted it to sail. then I figured out after getting plans that a 10 footer at 1/4 would sail, but a bit hard to put in the car and take to any other pond. I did get the drawings though.....maybe a truck!

anyway the next year of research will set me on a quest. whether Gardiner Deering gorgeous designs or other yet to be determined. I would agree the " shipyard in Maine' history of the Percy and Small was a great and necessary read. The structural challenges of the ships and the history is great. the story of evolving the broken shear line and poop deck vs. wind affect of a strong high bow. Also for picking a large schooner I need to think of the home crowd. The last, largest and prettiest schooner built in our town was Zebedee Cliff and at 206 feet that is a popular 50 inch hull. there is also a derelict old 5 master still in the mud and great plans available for the 5 master Cora Cressy

But first I need to get ready. I have started the kit Benjamin Latham because it is 1/4 scale and should teach me a lot. I am taking tips from its build back to my long time working 7/8 inch scale scratch build pilot schooner. [ lesson learned...odd scale foolish attempt to get to 50 inch size to possibly race. ] I find building a sailable model looks good to the layman [neighbors] but pales to what I see you guys do. Through the great work I see on these forums I hope to learn how to make a better product. After the Ben' Nathan I will project sail ability of that scale before going forward. I will also someday make the Bowdoin in same 1/4 scale because it was also built here in Town.

It is great to doing this and not work!!! this is day 3... cheers

Back