Hello from Long Beach CA (home of the Queen Mary)

Hey all, I live in Long Beach, California, and have recently been building scale models of passenger liners and cruise ships. Got our home town gal, Queen Mary done, as well as the SS United States, AIDA Blu and SS France. Have 4 kits waiting to build... Queen Elizabeth 2, Queen Mary 2, Lusitania and SS Oriana. So many ships, so little time!

QM1 1.jpg

AIDABlue smaller 2.png

SS US My Model 1.jpg

Nice looking ships its good to see work done in other scales and materials here, it is not all wooden sailing ships.
Thank you... I love building these ships, it's like a meditation for me (except when sometimes glue does not do what it should or decals get screwed up, then the air turns blue, LOL!)... I think I might start with the QE2 next but I am trying to get a better set of instructions than the ones that Revell have... Gunze Sangyo made a model from the same molds and I believe their instructions were a lot better, but it's hard to track down someone who could send a copy to me. I will keep hunting, otherwise I suspected Lusitania or the Oriana will be next (QM2 is too big... she does not even fit in the usual big display cases I get!)

I walked the decks and halls of Queen Mary many years ago. It makes a for a strange hotel, but the ship is beautiful. The joggled in and out riveted plates of the hull are of particular interest to a Marine Engineer like me. They don't make them like they used to.

I walked the decks and halls of Queen Mary many years ago. It makes a for a strange hotel, but the ship is beautiful. The joggled in and out riveted plates of the hull are of particular interest to a Marine Engineer like me. They don't make them like they used to.
We are hoping she will reopen later this year after repairs and with covid restrictions lifted. Can't wait to get back on board again.

I completely agree with you
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Thank you Uwe. Building these models is a strangely meditative thing for me... love it... being a photographer and designer in my 'real life' this type of creativity sparks my other creative ideas too. The brain works in weird ways, LOL!

Back