Hello from Cincinnati

Never in a million years did I think I'd even consider this type of hobby. I've suffered with arthritis and anxiety my whole life. A colleague actually recommended model shipbuilding as a therapy to address both ailments. We'll see how it goes. At the very least, it should keep me out of my wife's hair for a bit. I ordered a Halcon 1:100 for my 1st time at bat.

Wish me luck!!!!

Hello Ghost, and welcome to the forum! I have spent my entire life with a form of OCD, and I can tell you absolutely that the focus ship-modeling requires works wonders to take your mind off of things. I also have a pair of injury-specific, arthritic pinky fingers and doing trade and craft work has kept them pliable. Start a build-log, and begin your model-making journey, and just watch as a community rises up around you in support.

Welcome Ghost!
if it’s the kit of the Halcon I’m thinking of, you should expect to be frustrated and have LOTS of questions due to the severely lacking instructions. Don’t let it get you down. Look at the build logs on here and if you still have questions, ask us !

Jeff

Welcome Ghost!
if it’s the kit of the Halcon I’m thinking of, you should expect to be frustrated and have LOTS of questions due to the severely lacking instructions. Don’t let it get you down. Look at the build logs on here and if you still have questions, ask us !

Jeff
Very likely to be the kit you're thinking of. 2 things actually drew me to this model: 1.) The lack of detailed instructions (I'm an engineer by trade and enjoy figuring out the impossible) and 2.) The price (no love lost if it winds up looking like it went thru a cat 5 hurricane). lol

Very likely to be the kit you're thinking of. 2 things actually drew me to this model: 1.) The lack of detailed instructions (I'm an engineer by trade and enjoy figuring out the impossible) and 2.) The price (no love lost if it winds up looking like it went thru a cat 5 hurricane). lol
I'm hopeful that you will post pictures of your progress and ask questions before you get too frustrated with it. :D
you have a large and very knowledgeable support group here to help you through this.... :D

Never in a million years did I think I'd even consider this type of hobby. I've suffered with arthritis and anxiety my whole life. A colleague actually recommended model shipbuilding as a therapy to address both ailments. We'll see how it goes. At the very least, it should keep me out of my wife's hair for a bit. I ordered a Halcon 1:100 for my 1st time at bat.

Wish me luck!!!!
Ghost, welcome to SOS. You’re among friends here. You’ll find support for your chosen path. I’ve got MS which doesn’t do me any favors in build logs. Thank goodness for propanalol that keeps my hand tremors manageable. I found that building models, be it ships or aircraft or vehicles has been a wonderful way to channel my energies. I’m currently building Airfix’s 1/24 scale Spitfire and have completed over the past few years at least 3 large scale ships. I guess I should get some photos of them on here.

Ghost, welcome to SOS. You’re among friends here. You’ll find support for your chosen path. I’ve got MS which doesn’t do me any favors in build logs. Thank goodness for propanalol that keeps my hand tremors manageable. I found that building models, be it ships or aircraft or vehicles has been a wonderful way to channel my energies. I’m currently building Airfix’s 1/24 scale Spitfire and have completed over the past few years at least 3 large scale ships. I guess I should get some photos of them on here.
I know the fight, my wife has MS. My thoughts are with you.

Good medicine for anxiety! The arthritis, like any bad news, does not improve with age. But, **** it, I ain't ready to give up yet: models, art OR guitar! :mad:
Keep on truckin'! (I date myself.):cool:

Pete

Good medicine for anxiety! The arthritis, like any bad news, does not improve with age. But, **** it, I ain't ready to give up yet: models, art OR guitar! :mad:
Keep on truckin'! (I date myself.):cool:

Pete
My wife and I have more than a few things in common. We’re both AB-, she’s got rheumatoid arthritis which is an autoimmune condition, I’ve got a different autoimmune… MS. We met at work, sitting in a live microwave/satellite truck for days on end you can’t help but talk about things in common… she knew a bunch of the same people that I knew from different times and places. Tv news is a rather small club. We also have our son and that’s a really good thing. He too obviously is AB- and an amazing guitarist and performer. But I’m the only model builder in the family.

Back