Hello from Arizona.

Hello all! I'm a newbie when it comes to wooden models. I've mostly done plastic kits, and recently got into the small metal art, but felt that I should really test my skill and do a wooden kit as a gift for my dad.
I really enjoy the information found on here, and am learning tons. Hopefully I can post some pictures of my build soon.

Welcome from way out west.

The forum supports all media of ship building, plastic, wood and card stock are main types.

Look around and use the search and group forums to see what's out there and as there is a lot to learn, I learn something new each week just reading posts.

There are lots of helpful posts for new builders.

Welcome to the forum ! Unlike the plastic kits (which mostly fits together well with no "adjustments" on a good quality) On the wooden ship kits. Trial fit and adjust 80% of the time. 20 percent of the time is gluing the parts. :)
Any idea what you are going to build for your father and for your first build (which may not be the same)?
Your plastic building will help a lot.

Welcome to the forum ! Unlike the plastic kits (which mostly fits together well with no "adjustments" on a good quality) On the wooden ship kits. Trial fit and adjust 80% of the time. 20 percent of the time is gluing the parts. :)
Any idea what you are going to build for your father and for your first build (which may not be the same)?
Your plastic building will help a lot.
Thanks everyone!
Not knowing what I was getting into, I purchased one of the cheap kits from Amazon. Like this: Screenshot_20230417_125130_Amazon Shopping.jpg
However, after opening it, I realized that there was more work going to be needed.
I looked through a ton of ships that are reproductions, or currently sailing, and decided to model my retro- kit/ scratch ship after the Californian out of San Diego. I had to play with the scale and change the placement of both the mainmast and the decks, but it's coming along. Hopefully I can put some pictures up on a build log. Unfortunately I haven't taken many up to this point, but there's still plenty left to do.

Thanks everyone!
Not knowing what I was getting into, I purchased one of the cheap kits from Amazon. Like this: View attachment 369676
However, after opening it, I realized that there was more work going to be needed.
I looked through a ton of ships that are reproductions, or currently sailing, and decided to model my retro- kit/ scratch ship after the Californian out of San Diego. I had to play with the scale and change the placement of both the mainmast and the decks, but it's coming along. Hopefully I can put some pictures up on a build log. Unfortunately I haven't taken many up to this point, but there's still plenty left to do.
I have that same kit that I'm working on as a group build for my local ship building club. :) A very interesting challenge with the lack of real instructions. :)

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello all! I'm a newbie when it comes to wooden models. I've mostly done plastic kits, and recently got into the small metal art, but felt that I should really test my skill and do a wooden kit as a gift for my dad.
I really enjoy the information found on here, and am learning tons. Hopefully I can post some pictures of my build soon.
Hallo @Hrrunner
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back