Hello everyone

Hi , My names Greg and I am from Adelaide, South Australia. I have been lurking in the halls admiring the ships built by people on this forum and have decided to introduce myself.
I am not new to model building as I have been building plastic kits for nearly 40 years , predominantly WW 2 ships and aircraft.
Due to a work injury where I managed to drop 3 tonne of steel on my right hand, which is now nearly useless ,I decided that the kits I have been doing are almost impossible.
So with no logic at all decided to build my first wooden ship, thinking I would find it slightly easier (I was wrong)
I am currently building the Santisima Trinidad from Occre and am really enjoying the build and find it so much more satisfying than any plastic kit I have made.
It is not even close to the quality of the ships built by other members as I am struggling a little with one hand but I am reasonably happy with it.
As I practice and build more ships and create devices to help me with the process I am confident I will improve.
I may pop up from time to time asking for advice and am considering a build log for the next ship I build which at this stage may be the Soleil Royal from Artesania Latina.

I hope you all have a great day!
trinity.jpg

Hi , My names Greg and I am from Adelaide, South Australia. I have been lurking in the halls admiring the ships built by people on this forum and have decided to introduce myself.
I am not new to model building as I have been building plastic kits for nearly 40 years , predominantly WW 2 ships and aircraft.
Due to a work injury where I managed to drop 3 tonne of steel on my right hand, which is now nearly useless ,I decided that the kits I have been doing are almost impossible.
So with no logic at all decided to build my first wooden ship, thinking I would find it slightly easier (I was wrong)
I am currently building the Santisima Trinidad from Occre and am really enjoying the build and find it so much more satisfying than any plastic kit I have made.
It is not even close to the quality of the ships built by other members as I am struggling a little with one hand but I am reasonably happy with it.
As I practice and build more ships and create devices to help me with the process I am confident I will improve.
I may pop up from time to time asking for advice and am considering a build log for the next ship I build which at this stage may be the Soleil Royal from Artesania Latina.

I hope you all have a great day!
View attachment 316657
Welcome from another Aussie!
Wow, if that's one handed building I am unable to imagine what you could achieve with two. Great work and perseverance. Most would have given up. I'll be watching with interest for updates.

Welcome from another Aussie!
Wow, if that's one handed building I am unable to imagine what you could achieve with two. Great work and perseverance. Most would have given up. I'll be watching with interest for updates.
Thanks very much mate , I was reasonably happy with the planking but I struggled with the gunports ,but if you don't look too closely ;)

Bonjour,
Tout d'abord mes félicitations pour votre persévérance et courage de continuer le modélisme ! cela mérite d'être souligné, en tout cas votre modèle est super , encore bravo et bonne continuation !

Bonjour,
Tout d'abord mes félicitations pour votre persévérance et courage de continuer le modélisme ! cela mérite d'être souligné, en tout cas votre modèle est super , encore bravo et bonne continuation !
Merci, j'apprecie le commentaire

Thank you , to tell the truth was almost too embarrassed to post the picture. Thought it wasn't very good compared to what I have seen presented on SOS

Welcome Aussie! I learned recently that the Artesania Latina Soleil Royal was built to resemble the ship built in 1692. The stern quarters and baroque decoration on La Soleil Royale built in 1669 look totally different that the replacement ship which was launched in 1692. The earlier ship was destroyed by fireships at the battel at Cherbourg. King Louis XIV wasted no time replacing the ships lost at that battle. The ship kit for the earlier ship is made by Mantua, ZHL, and several others. The later ship is made by Artesania Latina. Which model style would you choose? Both are lavish with decoration.

ARRRrrrrr! Pirate Flag Ship-1

Welcome Aussie! I learned recently that the Artesania Latina Soleil Royal was built to resemble the ship built in 1692. The stern quarters and baroque decoration on La Soleil Royale built in 1669 look totally different that the replacement ship which was launched in 1692. The earlier ship was destroyed by fireships at the battel at Cherbourg. King Louis XIV wasted no time replacing the ships lost at that battle. The ship kit for the earlier ship is made by Mantua, ZHL, and several others. The later ship is made by Artesania Latina. Which model style would you choose? Both are lavish with decoration.

ARRRrrrrr! Pirate Flag Ship-1
Thanks, I'm planning on the Artesania Soleil Royal mainly due to the fact that it appears to have excellent instructions. As it will onll be my second ship that is pretty important to me still. I actually prefer the look of the ZHL model but am worried about the Chinese to English translation in the instructions. I have a few more months to make a decision so will see whether I still feel the same then.

Thanks, I'm planning on the Artesania Soleil Royal mainly due to the fact that it appears to have excellent instructions. As it will onll be my second ship that is pretty important to me still. I actually prefer the look of the ZHL model but am worried about the Chinese to English translation in the instructions. I have a few more months to make a decision so will see whether I still feel the same then.
The Artesania Latina is definitely the better kit and will have much better instructions. For me, choosing which one to build is a matter of the style. I prefer the baroque style ship, but the cast decorations of the Mantua kit have degraded seriously in the past 50 years.

The Artesania Latina is definitely the better kit and will have much better instructions. For me, choosing which one to build is a matter of the style. I prefer the baroque style ship, but the cast decorations of the Mantua kit have degraded seriously in the past 50 years.
I like that style also and have a few on my wish list to be done in the future. I looked at the Mantua model but realised it is a pretty old kit and have heard the same thing about the decorations. I have a 3D printer and am thinking about trying to produce my own.

Welcomd aboard :D
you are doing wonderful work on the Santisima TrinidadThumbsup:)Okay

Back