Hello all .. Terry Lanning from Ont.Canada

Welcome aboard :) I'm building my very first model myself so I don't have much experience. I bought some different power tools but I think they are only needed for scratch build. For the kit I'm building the only tools needed so far has been a scalpel, a small file, sandpaper and different types of small clamps (some of which homemade). I've also used a rotary tool (Proxxon in my case) but it is not essential. It is indeed nice to have though.

Just wondering do you buy from a Canadian store for your ships
Most people buy from these sites

Hey Terry, welcome. I tend to get a lot of my common tools from Amazon. I also like Micro Mart. There is a forum thread having to do with tools. You might want to review that. Basically various exacto blades, tweezers, pliers, cutters, etc. There are some wood modelling kits that come with a set of common tools. Clamping is always an adventure. Staples binder clips, the smaller ones make great clamps. Clothes pegs as well. You will want various PVA (wood) glue and CA (instant) glue. Enjoy your 1st build. Make sure you do a build log so you can ask questions as you go along.

.I have ordered my 1st boat called the Polaris so I'm interested in what specific tools required to build it. Thx
Welcome aboard SOS, Terry. Generally, building from kits doesn't require many tools. Usually, the kit manufacturer will provide the list of tools required for the assembly. Mostly you will need a hobby knife with a #11 blade and a set of replacement blades. You will need a few files: flat and round (at minimum), Various clamps, and sanding paper. You will need a vise pin and small drill bits... Once you start assembly, you will find out what do you need. Check this out...

Jimsky meant a pin vice,
Exactly!!! Thanks, Chris.

A pin vise (or pin vice in the UK) is a miniature drill or twist drill that is a useful, fairly inexpensive specialized hand tool used a lot in miniature woodwork. ... This means it can also hold very thin, narrow drill bits.

1610408928671.png

Back