Hayling Hoy of 1759

Book is on order just waiting for it to arrive and then the fun begins. This will my first model ever!

I now have plans and will be starting this modle my first. Hope to follow your build. Do you plan to keep up with the build log?

I now have plans and will be starting this modle my first. Hope to follow your build. Do you plan to keep up with the build log?
I'm glad you got your book and plans. Now it's time to start making some dust and perhaps start your own build log. Regarding this log, I intend to report progress as soon as there is progress or questions, assuming I don't croke or get kicked out of SoS. Good luck with your build.

Gennaro, the book you linked come with all the plans/drawings you need to built the ship ?

I am asking because I am not sure if Sea Watch books, with this comment ( ....The framing is based on volume one of the Fully Framed Model ( the Swan series) and this book will be a big help for anyone tackling this project....) is suggesting that you need the Volume 1 too

Thanks !!!
Daniel

Just so you all know I also ordered the other book Swan series Full frame model Vol1 and it is a real help on how to build a POF model for a newbie.

Gennaro, what kind of mill and chisels do you use? How would you describe the learning curve to produce such precise parts? Awesome project and awesome skill! I am hoping to use Ed Tosti’s Niaid books as reference for my CAF Granado and Enterprise builds, but hope to eventually scratch build.

Gennaro, the book you linked come with all the plans/drawings you need to built the ship ?

I am asking because I am not sure if Sea Watch books, with this comment ( ....The framing is based on volume one of the Fully Framed Model ( the Swan series) and this book will be a big help for anyone tackling this project....) is suggesting that you need the Volume 1 too

Thanks !!!
Daniel
Daniel,
Book and plans are self sufficient to build the model. Well, one frame pattern (AC7) was somehow omitted from plans. I contacted David Antscherl and within 15 minutes I had the missing pattern. He is not only a great educator, author and modeller, but also a kind, helpful gentleman.
Regarding framing, frankly speaking, I have no idea what they are talking about - framing on Hoy and Swan are completely different. All frames on Hoy are double except for one at dead flat. All frames on Swan are single (futtock/chock construction). That being said, TFFM books can be of great help.

Gennaro, what kind of mill and chisels do you use? How would you describe the learning curve to produce such precise parts? Awesome project and awesome skill! I am hoping to use Ed Tosti’s Niaid books as reference for my CAF Granado and Enterprise builds, but hope to eventually scratch build.
Regarding mill and chisels, nothing fancy here - 12 years old Proxxon MF70 and xacto 1/4" square blades for rounding corners. The rest is done with scrapers, files, sanding sticks... Learning curve is really not that sharp. It took several attempts for the lower apron, but I managed to manufacture stern deadwood and rising wood in one go. Light is also a very good helper for inspecting joints and shapes (shadows). All the work is done very slowly in multiple passes. As David Antscherl said multiple times, it's a lot easier to remove the wood than to put it back on. Thanks for your interest.

Hallo Gennaro, your project is just fantastic, great work. I will continue to watch you with great interest, as I also have book and plans, maybe? :)
Well there I have a lot of other tasks.
Thank you Adi. Much appreciated. I'm glad Hoy is not clinkered framed/planked. I don't know how you guys are handling Le Coureur's framing/planking.

Could tell me what thickness you made the frames on Hoy? I have a problem with the plan, floor are to be 10" is that the final double frame or is the final 20"?

Could tell me what thickness you made the frames on Hoy? I have a problem with the plan, floor are to be 10" is that the final double frame or is the final 20"?
I haven't made any frames yet. All frames are double sided except for the one at dead flat. So the double frames are 20" full size at floors.

I haven't made any frames yet. All frames are double sided except for the one at dead flat. So the double frames are 20" full size at floors.
Ok thank you. I will be watching when you start to make frames. I will start on the keel just like you did almost done with my build board.

@Gennaro Sorry for the offtop...

Yes if I can figure out how to do it properly.
You will be surprised how easy to start a build log. It is a matter of 'post a thread' in the section below. Just give it a title and...

good luck, and let me know if any trouble...

Inner post and stern post have been added. Inner post is quite an interesting piece of timber to say the least. Rising wood is next. This part makes me nervous a little bit - holes for 6-32 machine bolts are required as well as recess for the nuts. Hopefully, won't have to redo what's been done so far. Thanks for all the likes and comments.

IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG

Back