HARBOR DREDGE/ KRIS SZKUTNIK

Don my dear friend. This build of yours is progressing very nicely. Hang in there my friend - you are a great inspiration to me.

OK A LITTLE MORE THIS IS REALLY BECOMING SLOW ALL DUE TO PHUSICAL PROBLEMS BEING IN A WHEEL CHAIR WORKING THROUGH THEM WITH JESUES HELP HOPEFULLY PROGRESS IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, SHOWING PLANKING BEING INSTALLED AND PARTS DRY FITTED I THINK IT IS PROGERSSING NICELY. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Speed of the build should not be the objective but being able to know that you are doing what you are able to do each day that we have. Rich (PT-2)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR VERY KIND COMMENTS GREATLY APPRECIATED THEY MEAN A LOT TO ME, TO HEINRICH YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION WITH YOUR SKILLS AND MORE IMPORTANT HOW TO COMUNICATE THEM THANK YOU GREATLY BRIAN THE BEAMS, STRINGERS FRAMES ETC ARE ALL PEARWOOD WAITING FOR A COAT OF WIPE ON POLY THE DECK PLANKS ARE DONE IN RED GUM WITH TWO COATS OF POLY, AGAIN TO ALL THANKS SO MUCH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

OK MORE PROGRESS, DECK PLANKING INSTALLED STERN AREA NOW I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I AM GOING TO COVER AND WHAT NOT, ACCOMADATIG BOT VISUALLY AND SHOWING FRAMING, ONCE THAT IS DONE NOW DECISION TIME TO TAKE IT OUT OF JIG OR LEAVE IT, PROBABLLY TAKING IT OUT TO WORK ON UNDERSIDE PLANKING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Attachments

• 20210919_211507.jpg
    20210919_211507.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210919_211532.jpg
    20210919_211532.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210919_211822.jpg
    20210919_211822.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 14
OK MORE PROGRESS, DECK PLANKING INSTALLED STERN AREA NOW I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I AM GOING TO COVER AND WHAT NOT, ACCOMADATIG BOT VISUALLY AND SHOWING FRAMING, ONCE THAT IS DONE NOW DECISION TIME TO TAKE IT OUT OF JIG OR LEAVE IT, PROBABLLY TAKING IT OUT TO WORK ON UNDERSIDE PLANKING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Nice decking providing area for the ship's surveyor to walk about before going below deck for further inspections. ;) Rich (PT-2)

DECKING INSTALLED, END PIECE BEING DRY FITTED, NOT GOING TO INSTALL MUCH DECKING AT THE BOW JUST A FEW, AFTER CLEAN UP AND FINAL SANDING ON THE PLANKS ANOTHER COAT OF WIPE ON POLY WILL BE CUTTING FRAMES TO PROPER HEIGHT THEN ON TO THE SHIPS BOAT A MODEL WITH IN A MODEL CHECK IT OUT RICH FOR POTENTIAL DIARAMA. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

20210925_203656.jpg

20210925_203754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don you have excelled with this build. I really think that this is the best I have ever seen you build. You have a bright modelling future ahead young man!

DECKING INSTALLED, END PIECE BEING DRY FITTED, NOT GOING TO INSTALL MUCH DECKING AT THE BOW JUST A FEW, AFTER CLEAN UP AND FINAL SANDING ON THE PLANKS ANOTHER COAT OF WIPE ON POLY WILL BE CUTTING FRAMES TO PROPER HEIGHT THEN ON TO THE SHIPS BOAT A MODEL WITH IN A MODEL CHECK IT OUT RICH FOR POTENTIAL DIARAMA. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
This dredge barge gets my mind working: loading is logical by dumping the excavated material into it by a conveyor belt or simple shovels full with each grab. . . but how is the barge unloaded. It would have to be careful not to damage the hull unless it moves off shore and has bottom hatches that can open and dump the load. I would like to learn from you how the barge functions. It is a nice build. Rich (PT-2)

THANK YOU ALL FOR KIND COMENTS, AND THANK YOU HEINRICH DEAR FRIEND WHAT A COMPLIMENT I WILL START SHOWING PICTURES OF THE BOAT TOMORROW NEED TO MOVE TO MY WHEEL CHAIR WORK SPACE, BETTER ACESS THERE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

@PT-2 The dredge disposes of its load by dropping it into the accompanying boat that Don was referring to.

View attachment 258200
Now I understand the dredge barge better. I have seen abandoned dredges in Montana and Alaska with the massive fan sweeping arcs across acres and acres of land as the worked along and then when the deposit played out it was less expensive to abandon them in place than disassemble them to transport the parts elsewhere. Thanks for this very informative photo of the two in action. Rich (PT-2)

This dredge barge gets my mind working: loading is logical by dumping the excavated material into it by a conveyor belt or simple shovels full with each grab. . . but how is the barge unloaded. It would have to be careful not to damage the hull unless it moves off shore and has bottom hatches that can open and dump the load. I would like to learn from you how the barge functions. It is a nice build. Rich (PT-2)
Some more information about the small barge and the function you can find in the monograph

IMG-6028a.jpg

the small barge has a closed bottom, so they had to remove the material by showels

IMG_14221.jpg IMG_14281.jpg

OK NOW A PROBLEM HOPEFULLY CAN BE SOLVED BUT NEED KRIS INPUT HERE, ACCORDING TO THE PLANSET NO 4 THE HEIGHT OF THE 12 FRAME EXTINSIONS ARE HIGHER THEN THE FRAME TOPS BY QUITE A BIT, MY QUESTION IS DO I FOLLOW THE PLANS AND INCREASE THE HEIGHT I AM PRETTY SURE I NEED TO INCREASE THE HEIGHT OR THE WHEELS WILL NOT WORK OUT, AND ANY SUGESTIONS ON HOW TO ACOMPLISH THIS I HAVE ONE BUT NEED TO SEE IF I CAN MAKE IT WORK NOT SURE YET I CAN NOT DRILL FOR A PIN TO BE INSERTED DUE TO MY PHYSICAL PROBLEMS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Attachments

• 20210927_202525.jpg
    20210927_202525.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210927_202728.jpg
    20210927_202728.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210927_202954.jpg
    20210927_202954.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 9
OK STARTING ON THE SHIPS BOAT AND I AM COMPLTLY AT A LOSS ON THE FRAMES AND WHAT I HAVE IN PACKAGES THIS IS FOR KRIS, PLEASE HELP KRIS, PICTURES ARE FOR THE FOLLOWING UNMARKED BAG WITH LOTS OF PARTS, FRAME NO 27 BACK AND FRONT I HAVE THE JIG SET UP AND FRAMES NO 3 AND 4 I COMPLETLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THE FRAMES CONSIST OF 2 SIDES ONE LONG CROSS MEMBER AND 2 SIDE PIECES BUT, BUT I WILL SEND THE JIG AND FRAME PIECES FOR FRAME NO 3 AND 4 LATTER, WAITING THEN I CAN CONTINUE TO MOVE ALONG. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Attachments

• 20211004_012423.jpg
    20211004_012423.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211004_012649.jpg
    20211004_012649.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211004_012750.jpg
    20211004_012750.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10
OK STARTING ON THE SHIPS BOAT AND I AM COMPLTLY AT A LOSS ON THE FRAMES AND WHAT I HAVE IN PACKAGES THIS IS FOR KRIS, PLEASE HELP KRIS, PICTURES ARE FOR THE FOLLOWING UNMARKED BAG WITH LOTS OF PARTS, FRAME NO 27 BACK AND FRONT I HAVE THE JIG SET UP AND FRAMES NO 3 AND 4 I COMPLETLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THE FRAMES CONSIST OF 2 SIDES ONE LONG CROSS MEMBER AND 2 SIDE PIECES BUT, BUT I WILL SEND THE JIG AND FRAME PIECES FOR FRAME NO 3 AND 4 LATTER, WAITING THEN I CAN CONTINUE TO MOVE ALONG. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
I too don't recognize anything associated with a ships boat with these straight pieces. If the kit instructions or plan details don't show anything, you are on the right tack reaching out. Rich (PT-2)

HERE IS PICTURES OF BOAT IN THE JIG, RICH THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE FRAME PIECES AS THIS IS WHAT KRIS AND THE MONOGRAPH SHOW THE PROBLEM IS WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED IN THE PACKAGES THAT IS CONFUSING, NEED HELP KRIS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Attachments

• 20211004_190836.jpg
    20211004_190836.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211004_190908.jpg
    20211004_190908.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 5
HERE IS PICTURES OF BOAT IN THE JIG, RICH THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE FRAME PIECES AS THIS IS WHAT KRIS AND THE MONOGRAPH SHOW THE PROBLEM IS WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED IN THE PACKAGES THAT IS CONFUSING, NEED HELP KRIS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Now with the view of the flat bottom, like a dory, the pieces in the bags seem related but I have no actual clue. RIch

Back