Hammock cranes my way

One of the processes that annoyed me was building Hammock cranes on the model. I have tried several ways to work in a confined space and finally decided to assemble it off the model. Here is what works for me and maybe someone else might find it helpful.

1. I made a base to work with then made a hole pattern that matched the model. The holes on the model were drilled during the build as per the instructions.

HMS Fly 103.jpg

2. Next I placed the cranes on the base.
HMS Fly 104.jpg

3. Make a template that matches the inside dimensions of the Cranes. I had some scrap that fit perfectly. Turned out to be 3.25mm.
HMS Fly 105.jpg

4. Ran rope through the holes in the cranes and use a drop CA to fasten them in place. Leave some long rope for Fly and Pegasus because the stern end will attach to an eyebolt
HMS Fly 106.jpg

5. For the netting I used masking material I use making fish scales on home made lures.
HMS Fly 107.jpg

6. I wrapped the filler stick with plastic wrap so glue won't stick then covered it with the netting. Slide the sandwich into the cranes. I used a toothpick and a small amount of Weld Bond to attach the netting to each crane.
HMS Fly 108.jpg

7. When the glue has dried, remove the filler stick and trim the netting. Now spray with a flat black paint.
HMS Fly 109.jpg
8. Pop off the cranes and trim any loose pieces of netting and it's ready to install on the model.
HMS Fly 110.jpg

Back