Halfpenny Galleon

Rob T has posted a delightful series of vintage "Hobbies" plans. As an aside between building 'grown up' models I decided to take a trip down memory creek and build one of them: The Halfpenny Galleon. The date on the plan is 1949 which is before plank-on-bulkhead construction became the norm. The hull halves are shaped from solid blocks and glued to either side of a central keel. Upper decks are cut from solid and glued on top. This is the way I built my first model aged about ten.
I have not bothered elaborating on the beasic form shown in the plan - no drawing of planks on the deck or adding paint. The rigging is minimal though I still ended up doing ratlines. The scale is too small for deadeyes and blocks. This is simply an exercise in building a model the old fashioned way.
The galleon is the image on the reverse side of a pre-decimalisation halfpenny - usually pronounced "haypenny" or "haypny". This was a useful coin; its diameter was exactly one inch so with a pocket full of change one could always improvise a simple ruler - though it would cost £132.00 to measure out a mile.
Halfpenny1.jpg Halfpenny2.jpg
Halfpenny3.jpg Halfpenny4.jpg Halfpenny5.jpg
Halfpenny6.jpg Halfpenny7.jpg

If you were to measure out the mile, you could guarantee someone would be behind you helping themselves to your h'pennies! ROTF
That reminds me of a comment made to me by one of my sons who described his job for a big bank( writing trading platform software) as 'devising the safest way to pick up bucket-fulls of pennies in front of an advancing juggernaut.'

Back