Half Moon (Corel) (SM18) 1:50 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Decided to build this ship next. There are several nice build logs on this ship on SOS. I'll attach some images of this kit. Don't know if the kit has ever been updated.

Decided to build this ship next. There are several nice build logs on this ship on SOS. I'll attach some images of this kit. Don't know if the kit has ever been updated.
Many Thanks for starting a building log of this interesting kit - you will have a bigger number of followers ....

Planking and masts. Blue colored planks on ship are already colored. Detailed stiping (green/black/white) are pre-made. Upper part of hull is planked with walnut. Lower part with what Corel calls Tanganika wood. That's the smaller bundle at bottom in the image. Not sure about the 2 different colored woods for the hull.

However, after looking at Seastreet's beautiful build HERE I might use the Tanganika.
IMG_2153.JPG

The tanganika makes great deck planks. Corel often makes the bulkhead slots too small. This freaks out new builders who are afraid of changing any of the parts. I know, because I was one of them. Consider it the first step in bashing. This is going to be one beautiful build.

The box art for Corel never seems to be the same color wood as the actual wood provided in the model. It's as if all their box art came from their kit prototype, not the final kit. Usually the kit is more colorful, but if you like the all-wood look, the cover art would appeal to you.

Example, Corel's La Couronne as built from the box

gallery_12022_1531_269000.jpg

Cover art
Corel La Couronne.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kurt - good to know. I checked the parts list. The deck planks are tanganika. Man are they thin. I had looked for tanganika wood earlier when I saw some of the hull planking was this wood. I couldn't find it for sale on the internet in the USA. Maybe it's sold in Europe. I wouldn't want pay to ship wood from there.

I used my table saw to slice a very small about of wood from the notches on the bulkheads. They fit perfect now.

The wood is thin, but it works and looks good. It usually comes from Italy. Mode Expo gets their from Corel. I've bought a lot of it for the Sovereign to replace the cheap basswood DeAgostini provided.

Hopefully your bulkheads fit snugly now, but add some wood blocks to the inside corners where the parts cross to ensure they remain at 90 degree angles, and built yourself a keel vice to ensure the keel does not bend or twist, until you get the first layer of planking on. That're really important if you don't want a visibly bent ship.

As a point of realism, the Corel models use belaying pin racks not used in the early 17th century for most of the belaying points for the rigging. Instead, ships at that time tied their lines to kevels, cavals, shroud cleats, or either the timberheads or pins in the railings (see below). The only belaying pin rack known for these early vessels is on the beakhead for lines that operate the spritsail and sprit topsail. It did not become the fashion to belay all running rigging lines to pin rails until the 19th century. It will take a bit of research and outright guesswork to figure a new belaying plan for Half Moon if you want to make the changes for accuracy. Other build logs of Half Moon may yield some clues. How you rig the ship sets the date of the ship in the eyes of those who know the history of rigging styles as surely as the hull design.

1659564737007.png 1659565257644.png 1659564704459.png 1659564836424.png 1659565160659.png

Hi Lakedaisy,
Half Moon is a great kit to build and I a sure you will have lots of fun with it. I built it at the time of the first covid lockdown over here and really enjoyed it. Remembering back the only problematic bits where the beakhead rails and that pesky lion figure head who's tail broke off when I tied to bend it to fit.
Good luck. JJ
1659567389636.jpeg

Back