H.M.Y Fubbs 1/24 scale stern section by Bryian.

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Ahoy shipmates,
I am commencing my stern section Fubbs build which is one of 10 kits produced.

I was fortunate enough to be associated with a small model ship group called Weaselworks and have been watching this project develop over the last 18 months. I'm sure you've already seen several other members build log of this kit, so I won't go into details about the history of the ship or unboxing the parts.
I wish to express my gratitude to Mr Mike Shanks and associates for their involvement to producing this model.

Not much to show from me so far, only that I have glued up some frames and assembled the stern structure.

IMG_6382 (1).jpgIMG_6381 (1).jpg

Hi Bryian, your progress is looking good. You will find beveling the frames a bit messy, but that is the worst part of the build.

Mike

Dear Bryian, happy to see you started your build log :D I will continue to follow with great curiosity

It looks great, Bryian! Are the keel parts and the aft structure CNC or laser cut? Fubbs is one of my favourites, I will follow this thread with great interest. Are the decorations 3D printed or CNC'd?
János

Hello Janos,
the frames are laser cut and there is some char removal required for these parts. The wooden decorations are Castello boxwood CNC engraved.
I believe the rudder assembly is CNC machined, but I stand to be corrected.

Thanks, Bryian!
I saw the laser cut frames which will require some serious cleaning. Maple might be better than Oak on my Batavia, which is very difficult to clean due to the coarse grain.
The rudder and aft parts look definitely to be CNC cut.
I am eager to see how the CNC Costelo decorations will look.
Good luck with the build!
János

Thank you your comments Janos and John.

I glued up the rudder assembly which is Alaskan yellow cedar. I like to highlight the caulking so white carpenters glue and graphite from a pencil does the job.

Photos below after glueing up, and second photo after sandpapering.

IMG_0305.jpgIMG_0306 (1).jpg

Back