H.M.S Granado. Plank on frame 1/48 scale. CAF model.

Looking forward to this Brian, are you planning the "big cut" on this hull also?

Hello Maarten,

yes I will cut the model so it shows the inner fittings. The instruction booklet shows in detail how to do this. I think this is truly unique and I haven't seen it done before.

So I have commenced the build with a partial assembly of the base for the framing jig. This is very accurately laser cut from plywood.

.IMG_2685.jpeg

Assembled the Cherry wood keel. The notches on the keel are for accurate alignment on the building board, and will be removed later.
I am mixing white carpenters wood glue with graphite from a pencil to show up the black calking between the timber.

.View attachment 249129
I like the Graphite and Glue concept, is it better than the Black Dyed Paper process?

I like the Graphite and Glue concept, is it better than the Black Dyed Paper process?
Hi Paul,
both black caulking techniques are great, but I prefer rubbing a graphite lead pencil on corse sandpaper then mixing with PVA wood glue makes a nice thick paste.

Last edited:
Yes the photo above is a museum model, I believe he has purchased the rights for the images and plans.
The photos and drawings on the NMM-web-page can be used if they are used for educational purposes and you have to mention that they are taken from the NMM-page

BTW: NMM made a typ-writing error and the ship was named "Grenado", therefore it is hardly to find there. Following the link you will find several photos of this remarkable model

also, if it is allowed, I would like to give a hint of an available printed documentation in the anatomy of ships series written by Peter Goodwin about the bomb vessel HMS Granado 1747 - It will help a lot to understand the construction and the kit

Back