H.M.A.V Bounty, Constructo 1:50

Ahoy Mates,
Still crackin the whip in my ship yard. After consulting Dr. Monfeld's almanac I noted that there was more to those timers than just lashing them to the mast. So I broke out my new handy dandy mill and worked them over.
IMG_1529 (2).JPG

I will post more latter.
IMG_1530 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahoy Mates,
After finishing up the support timbers It was time to go back to assembly mode.

IMG_1524 (2).JPG
IMG_1526 (2).JPG
IMG_1532 (2).JPG

I put the first coat of paint on before I turned in last night and tomorrow I will finish them.
I got ahead of myself on the foremast and installed it too soon. I will install all the blocks and tackle first.
before I install the masts on the ship.

IMG_1533 (2).JPG
IMG_1534 (2).JPG

Ahoy Mates,
Now that the main and mizzen mainmasts are done and painted. It's time to break out the serving machine, but first I have to clean off my work bench.
IMG_1536 (2).JPG
IMG_1537 (2).JPG

More to follow.
IMG_1538 (2).JPG

Hi Janos,
Thanks for visiting my build log and for your kind comments. I will be continuing with the foremast shrouds and rat lines before I move on.

The Bounty used to be one my favorite ship until I learned how many other ships out there,I still like it but others got in the way,good job so far Mike.

Ahoy to all my Ship Mates,
After cracking the whip on my build crew I have the Fore Topmast shrouds in place. I have also started on the fore topmast dead eyes. These always cause me some stress as I'm never sure how to attach them to the lower mast

IMG_1545 (2).JPGIMG_1542 (2).JPGIMG_1548 (2).JPG

Hi Zoly,
Thanks for your kind comments. I also like Bounty as this build has taught me allot of the history behind this ship.
I have always loved sailing ships and have lived by the sea most of my life.

The best book that shows you how to rig almost every item based upon the date the ship is made (rigging methods changed over time) is Wolfram zu Mondfeld's book "Historic Ship Models". He not only tells you what it was, but gives great pictures showing how to do the steps. It is only $20.00 and crammed with information that can not be gathered from just reading logs. All kits have terrible and very incorrect rigging with Model Shipways coming far closer to correct than the rest. All the others really miss the mark. They do not have the knowledgeable staff and use generic rigging to make it look OK to someone that has no knowledge in the subject. Usually the rigging is not even close to the way a ship would have been rigged at that time period. Mantua is a prime example. Constructo not being quite as bad as Mantua and in some instances attempt to get in the ball park.

Gary,
Fully agreed. Prime example of completely erroneus rigging details is the incorrect use of belaying pins (not talking about the mostly incorrect scale of them) which are included in kits well before they really were implemented. Another bag example is the incorrect shape and size of deadeyes, not talking about those terribly shaped, box-like blocks!
Janos

I purchased Mondfeld's book while I was building Endeavour, on your suggestion Gary, and It has been like the Bible. I agree that the plans that I have don't really show the actual rigging. When I first started in this club I was not as Intune with reference material. I have learned since then that there is always another way to skin a cat or build a model.

I think the biggest error is that they usually send only three sizes of rigging. most of that belongs on the middle yards and is not right for higher and lower ones. There is nothing for the lower stays, lower shrouds, etc. Using any less than about a dozen sizes in both colors on a square rigger or clipper does not make the ship look proper, to me at least.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for your kind comments and viewing my build log. As I gain more experience I hope to be able to figure what size should go where.

Mike,
The Mondfeldt-book gives also a very good guide about the different rope sizes.
Janos

Mike,
The Mondfeldt-book gives also a very good guide about the different rope sizes.
Janos

G'day Mike, I have just read all through your build log and she is coming together nicely, looking forward to more,

best regards John.

Thank you Janos and John for visiting my build log, and for you kind comments. Sometime Monfeld can be a little overwhelming, but full of allot of good information.

Back