Gunboat Philadelphia (Model Shipways; 1:24)

Finally back on line after several months planning & executing the move back to the US (Mechanicsville, Virginia). I packed up all the models myself, the movers were excellent with the overall pack out and everything made it without damage. Now I just have to get it all back on display....

With a small work table now set up it is time to get started on the next ship model - the gunboat Philadelphia. I have the box opened and will start work over the next few days. Will be posting photos of the build as it progresses. (Posting this from a cellphone; apologies for the sideways photo.)

20230809_062309.jpg

20230809_062357.jpg

Interesting model - I am looking forward to follow your log

Very nice kit and fun to build. I’m in the final stages now on my Philadelphia and expect to have it done by the end of the month. The actual ship was built in the summer of 1776 about 30 miles from my house, hence my interest in building the model. Enjoy!

Having been raised not too far from Lake Champlain (New York state side), I'm considering this kit for my next build so I will be looking forward to your build log entries with great interest.

Reactions: BMT
Well the start has been slow. Between finding my tools (spread through several packing boxes) and setting up a work space, actual work on the model took back seat. Anyways I am now officially started. The flat bottom, keel, stem & stern pieces and the 1st 8 (of 16) frames are in place. A part of today was spent reading others' blogs and doing research on-line. As I'm now located not too far south of Washington, DC I will need to make a trip up to the Smithsonian to view the actual vessel (saw it there well over 30 years ago). I'm already considering how to finish her - in just out of the boatyard colors or looking a bit rougher (like she may have after rowing around Lake Champlain for several weeks prior to battle). No need to decide that yet; still have plenty of work to do just getting to the point where the planking (inside and out) can start.

20230826_141316.jpg20230826_141325.jpg20230829_213420.jpg20230830_062419.jpg

4 Sep 2023
Work has been progressing steadily. Finished installing the frames with a minor error fixed along the way. When attaching the false keel to the bottom I glued one of the cross-supports into the slot for frame 14 (instead of the slot just prior to it). Of course,I didn't find that out until it was time to install frame 14. Rather than try to remove the cross-support I attached the frame 14 halves to it (frame is out of place by the width of the cross-support) and the cut/installed a new cross-support where it was supposed to be.

Started the planking very early on Saturday morning with the shear strike. All good - almost. Turns out that no matter how many times I read the instructions (obviously not enough) I still used the wrong size lumber (1/16 inch x 1/4 inch) for the shear strake (should have used 3/16 inch width). I used the 3/16 inch width for the next plank so the total width (top of shear to bottom of wale) matched the plans. Was off just a bit when butt-joining the shear on one side; corrected it with a scarf joint (not noticeable from the outside of the boat).

Shear plank to wale completed port and starboard; 1st two ceiling (inside) planks on both sides installed. Floors of fore & aft cockpits installed. The gunboats is taking shape.

20230831_185528.jpg20230902_202600.jpg20230903_223747.jpg20230903_223754.jpg20230904_173739.jpg20230904_173753.jpg

12 Sept 2023

Finished the ceiling (inside) planking and caulked a few places that needed it. Will clean it up when I sand the hull. Started on the first row of planking underneath the wale. Spiled the planks following the directions/illustrations in the instructions/plans. First time I've done this as planking on the other models was more along the lines of look/fit/trim/fit instead of actually spiling. Overall it seems to have gone fairly well; at least nothing looks completely out of whack. As this was my first attempt at spiling planks, I didn't actually follow the planking schedule on the plans, instead I shortened the fore & aft planks by 1 bulkhead each and lengthened the plank in the middle (it was the same width over its length). I'll get back on the plan's planking diagram with the next row.

I won't be posting for a a few weeks. Work travel and a bit of vacation will take me away from the worktable for awhile. Will pick up again around mid-October.

20230911_055705.jpg20230911_055715.jpg20230911_055732.jpg20230911_055748.jpg20230911_055802.jpg

I'm also building the Philadelphia and am working on the exterior planking. I am not attempting to do the spiling. Doing the "measure fit; measure fit......" method. I have also constructed a lot of the other fittings (masts, canon, firepit, etc.) I'll be watching your progress.

29 December 2023

Back again after a long hiatus for some travelling and home renovations. The home renovations are still on-going but I now have time to do some work on the model. Progress has not been great but it has been progress. I've given up on the spiling technique described in the instruction booklet; I'll need a lot more practice if I'm going to make that work. Have fallen back on the measure/look/fit/trim/fit method to complete the planking of the hull. While working on the planking I installed the fore and main decking sections. There will be lots of sanding to do once the planking is done to get the gunboat ready for finish (still have not decided on stain or paint but am leaning towards stain). I'll start working on some of the other parts (cannons, etc.) also while finishing up the planking.

20231225_161437.jpg20231225_161447.jpg20231226_094824.jpg

Back