gun rigging at 1/100 scale?

Hello, for a heller soleil royal what do you reccomand to rigg the visible guns on the top and stern deck? Do ropes big and realistic enough exist at this scale? If it's too hard to do, I might pass doing this.
Thanks for your answers!

I built La Couronne c. 1636 in 1:100 scale. Being small there is a limit to the detail you can make on gun carriages. However, using 2mm blocks from Falkonet in Russia, I was able to rig the gun tackles and train tackle for small gun as small as 15mm. At this scale, most people only rig the breaching ropes and call it good. Train tackles are OPTIONAL. They are not used in action, only when the carriages need to be drawn rearward. The tackles are rigged with sewing thread here. They are THAT SMALL. When guns fire, they move rearward on their own. Get some good tweezers for this!

1668114934676.png

Holes in the bulwarks for eyebolts for both breaching ropes and gun tackles using a homemade jig to locate the holes. Drill the holes from the outside surface of the hull. They will be covered by final planking later. Gun barrels were rigged with breaching ropes first.
1668115100762.png

Make gun tackles using the tiny blocks with 1mm eyebolts stropped to each block. Attach these gun tackles to the gun carriage first, then the opposite eyebolt using tweezers to the bulwark but inserting the shanks wet with CA glued into the tiny holes in the bulwark. Make right and left hand coils of rope and glue these over the ends of the gun and trail tackle lanyards on the deck. I butted the ends of the lines to make them look continuous.
1668115131750.png

Gun carriage ready for installation.
1668115361733.png

Hang the barrel out the gun port while you install the gun carriage. The draw the gun barrel back into the gun port and atop the carriage and glue it down by the trunnions and onto the quoin at the rear end.
1668115625898.png

Done!
1668115655732.png

Thanks, on the ropes, are they available for Soleil royal? Since I'm planning to do my SR with some ports closed, am I obligated to place the tackles on the top deck and stern post gun?

Thanks, on the ropes, are they available for Soleil royal? Since I'm planning to do my SR with some ports closed, am I obligated to place the tackles on the top deck and stern post gun?
The more detail you can make, the better the model. On all model kits, you need to scratch build extra details, and those details make the model truly great. The only limits are the small scale, availability of tiny parts, your skill, and especially your patience. The gun tackles and train tackles have hooks on each end block. For simplification, I tied the eyebolts directly to the blocks, omitting the hooks, because the gun eyelets, blocks, and hooks are already 5 times larger, despite using the smallest parts available, and that would make the tackles so large as a whole that they would look almost as large as the entire gun carriage! Look at the size of the tackles below relative to the gun and you can see what I mean. If you make the gun ports closed, rig the guns in their storage positions like this:

1668124753597.png

Visible deck guns stored this way with ports closed would look authentic. Note how the train tackle is used to draw the muzzle of the gun up against the bulwark along with a sling to keep it elevated. The breaching ropes are run around the rear axles to take up the slack, then seized to the gun tackle using the excess lanyard of that gun tackle. The gun tackles are taut. You can place tackles on all the carriages if you want. The gun is stored this way to prevent it from going adrift on the deck.

On guns with the ports open, I would recommend rigging at least the breach ropes and gun tackles on visible carriages, and omit the train tackles for simplicity.
1668125243864.png

Hello, for a heller soleil royal what do you reccomand to rigg the visible guns on the top and stern deck? Do ropes big and realistic enough exist at this scale? If it's too hard to do, I might pass doing this.
Thanks for your answers!
Take a look also at the 1:100 work on Daniels alias @dafi Heller HMS Victory or test battlestation he is actual working

Constitution-Battle-Station-221111_8103.jpg

I built La Couronne c. 1636 in 1:100 scale. Being small there is a limit to the detail you can make on gun carriages. However, using 2mm blocks from Falkonet in Russia, I was able to rig the gun tackles and train tackle for small gun as small as 15mm. At this scale, most people only rig the breaching ropes and call it good. Train tackles are OPTIONAL. They are not used in action, only when the carriages need to be drawn rearward. The tackles are rigged with sewing thread here. They are THAT SMALL. When guns fire, they move rearward on their own. Get some good tweezers for this!

View attachment 339851

Holes in the bulwarks for eyebolts for both breaching ropes and gun tackles using a homemade jig to locate the holes. Drill the holes from the outside surface of the hull. They will be covered by final planking later. Gun barrels were rigged with breaching ropes first.
View attachment 339852

Make gun tackles using the tiny blocks with 1mm eyebolts stropped to each block. Attach these gun tackles to the gun carriage first, then the opposite eyebolt using tweezers to the bulwark but inserting the shanks wet with CA glued into the tiny holes in the bulwark. Make right and left hand coils of rope and glue these over the ends of the gun and trail tackle lanyards on the deck. I butted the ends of the lines to make them look continuous.
View attachment 339853

Gun carriage ready for installation.
View attachment 339854

Hang the barrel out the gun port while you install the gun carriage. The draw the gun barrel back into the gun port and atop the carriage and glue it down by the trunnions and onto the quoin at the rear end.
View attachment 339857

Done!
View attachment 339858
As far I can see, this is the British riggen of guns.
The oriental gun riggen (France, Spain Denmark were rigged differently

1197-60010.jpg

1164--guns.jpg

1164--guns.jpg

Last edited:
Back