Gun length

I'm making ten English 4 pounders for the Discovery1789. I've made all the carriages but before I start making ten barrels does this look acceptable? Everything I can find says the 4 pounder had a 6' barrel. It looks a little long to me. Most pictures I see the breech is even with the rear of the carriage. Any input/opinions? Thanks

DSC04530.JPG

Hahn's charts are where I got the dimensions for the carriage. On that barrel chart the length depends on the length to caliber ratio and that seems to be impossible to find. It kinda seems like the smaller the guns caliber the longer it is. That's why I'm asking for opinions on the length. You guys are used to looking at guns. this is my first shot, so to speak. Am I right with my observation that the breach is close to the back of the carriage?

I lucked into something with a search
https://www.arc.id.au/Cannon.html
Shows a picture of a 4 pdr from Cooks Endeavour. Vancouver served with Cook and if he had any say about the guns he would probably choose ones that he was used to. Anyway they were "Armstrong Pattern" and there was this link.

Bunch of reading to do here but at a quick glance it looks like the Navy only had 4 pdr's in 5.5 and 6 feet. Referring back to the picture of Vancouver's 4 pdr, it's hard to tell from that angle but it looks shorter to me. I'll keep reading:)

1. The dimensions changed constantly. You have to give a date if you want to know what a gun might have looked like.
2. There is a hundred page paperback by a guy named Hohimer that provides dimensions of various English cannon for the date range of approximately 1700 to 1800. You might want to get a copy. Cannons that fired a given size ball almost always had several design variations depending upon the size vessel they were on, i.e. an 18 pdr on a frigate might not be the same size as an 18 pdr on a first rate.
3. Your question is one that every sailing ship model builder deals with every day. However, there is no easy answer. You definitely have to do some research.

1. My error in not catching the date. Hohimer is the most complete manual for modelers, get it.
2. I will be starting a batch of swivel guns tomorrow all to his fig. 9 and fig.10. An invaluable time saver book.
Mine is well worn.

Does the book have a title?
Yes! British Naval Ordnance 1700 to 1815 by Michael S. Hohimer. Guns came in a miriad of lengths and weights to fit the paricular ships to which they were going to be assigned. During this period of time, the "establishments" were revised every couple of years or so as ship designs changed due to increased understanding of the physics of ship motion and water reaction. Ship designs were changing and so the guns had to change to fit; primarily, guns got shorter and lighter. The book has about 60 pages; all charts, lists and drawings - no text. Everyone who builds English ships should have a copy. The gun sizes covered are 1/2 pdr to 42 pdr as well as carronades. Carriages are also covered. However, naval gun carriages did not change much over time because their function did not change over time; so you could build almost any era (establishment) carriage and reasonably argue that it is correct. Hope this helps!

Back