Grreeting from Big Sky Country

• Thread starter CharlesEdward
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
C

CharlesEdward

Just dropping in to introduce my self to this forum. My name is John Kershisnik and am living in Townsend Montana. I use SirCharlesEdward as my internet name in most cases and recently became a widower, hence I am spending more time on my hobby then before.

I have been building wooden ship models since 1975, when I purchased my first kit in Long Beach California where I was stationed for some six months in the US Navy. It was from a local hobby shop and was the Sergal kit HMS Sharke, since then I have completed six additional kits so far; Mantua's Santa Maria, Artesania Latina's the USS Dallas and the Scottish Maid, Corel's Half Moon and from C.Mamoli the yacht Mary and the Golden Hind. I am not yet retired so I am in my hobby shop most weekends and holidays, but am looking forward to a daily activity in about seven years or so.

Before 1975 I was into plastic models of all kinds but eventually concentrated on historical sailing ships. After doing that through Junior High and High School, I became busy with friends and other activities but always missed ship model kit building. When I jostled into that small hobby shop in Long Beach my interest was once again ignited. I recently went a a purchasing binge and have a total of nine kits on the shelves. Yes nine, well really six are assembled up to the first planking and three are still in boxes but I thouroughly checked them out to ensure nothing seemed to be missing from them.

I am concentrating on the hull planking of the OcCre kit Montanes, but I also have Corel's Wappen von Hamberg hull planking almost completed followed by OcCre Albatross, Constructo's Albatross. I had to try Euromodel's Royal William as it was on sale for a HUGE discount and that is all framed up and two lower decks are assembled. C.Mamoli' Sao Miguel or CARACCA ATLANTICA as it is known also framed with only about six first layer strakes laid. I plan to concentrate fully on the Montanes this summer with only occasional sallies into the other five kits to add a strake or two waiting for glue to dry on Montanes.

The three kits in boxes are, Corel's Berlin, C.Mamoli Royal Louis and OcCre Nuestra Senora del Pilar. I will start a build log of Montanes this weekend on this forum. I also have a few logs on Model Ship World as SirCharlesEdward but had to chop down my user name for SOS to CharlesEdward.

See you all later.

Charles Edward (Sir)

Hi John,

:text-welcomewave:

It seems that you have a lot of experience with wooden ships. I really did not start until about 7 years ago.

It is a pleasure to have you join. I am sure that you will find a lot of great freinds (including myself) here at SOS !!!

Donnie

It does seem like a lot in years, if you divide the years by the seven kits completeed thats about five years per kit :cry: . I slow way down in the winter months as my shop is out in a detached 900 square foot garage, a fully insulated 10' by 6' room, but the rest of the garage is not insulated yet (one of my future projects). Just two by fours and the aluminum siding so it is cold until I get in the actual shop. There is no plumbing so I have to take breaks often and get warm water for cleaning paint brushes and etc. Each model does seem to get a little better looking from the last one, and I am becoming pretty good at Dremel sanding for odd shapes, thanks for the welcom btw. :text-thankyouyellow:

JohnK aka CharlesEdward

High John:
:text-welcomewave:
Seems like you got your work cut out for you. There is a lot of information, tips and great people on this site. Enjoy.

Back