Greetings from New Zealand

hi all just new to this forum, and new to model ship building

Would love advice in best brand of kits to use, I am leaning towards occre and /or artesania latina, however have heard artesania Latina is not as good as used to be, also hear contructo and billings are good, any and all advice would be great, I'm all about realism and quality

Thanks

Welcome aboard SOS, Doubledutch9821!

In order to give you some advice, we would like to know a bit more about your upcoming project. Kits manufacturers make their kits in mind for different levels of experience. But the difficulty level varies from manufactures as well. lately, Chinese manufactures came with really good POF kits. Check our kits review section. You may find the answers there. Have you built any models before? We would love to see your work!

Thank You Jimsky

I have built a full model together with a friend of the bounty, long time ago unsure what manufacturer, am new but an experienced woodworker so happy to start on a mid-harder level type model, I love The larger ships of the line and would like to start with a smaller model and one day complete a Victory or equivilant model,

My main sticking point is not picking the model to start, but purely the choice of kit manufacturers as once i start with a smaller model i would like the chance to move onto larger models from the same maker so they sort off 'match' i guess. occre is the stand out for me but then they are very limited to spanish based ships which makes sense as spanish company, then i was told go artisania latina but have since heard the instructions can be very poor, and that the wood quality has been lacking lately. so really just wanting advice on a manufacturer that is really worth starting with and then staying

I have built a full model together with a friend of the bounty, long time ago unsure what manufacturer, am new but an experienced woodworker so happy to start on a mid-harder level type model, I love The larger ships of the line and would like to start with a smaller model and one day complete a Victory or equivilant model,

My main sticking point is not picking the model to start, but purely the choice of kit manufacturers as once i start with a smaller model i would like the chance to move onto larger models from the same maker so they sort off 'match' i guess. occre is the stand out for me but then they are very limited to spanish based ships which makes sense as spanish company, then i was told go artisania latina but have since heard the instructions can be very poor, and that the wood quality has been lacking lately. so really just wanting advice on a manufacturer that is really worth starting with and then staying
Personally, I would recommend a Falconet kit manufacturer. They are based in Russia and specialized on the small\medioum boats. The quality of their kits is superb and historically accurate. The same applies to another Russian manufacturer Piroscaf, they are new to the kits model world, but alredy thrilled us with their Steam cutter

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

In my opinion a very good manufacturer is Jotika / Caldrcraft
Not cheap kits, but good quality materials and good drawings and manuals
Take a look at their "Nelsons Navy"

Greetings Doubledutch9821 and welcome aboard- Are there any indigenous New Zealand woods which are suitable for ship model building (those which are relatively dense, hold good detail and have very little figure like swiss Pearwood and Boxwood)? Thanks!

Hello Doubledutch9821, welcome to the forum. It must be summer down under? We're at the start of a Northeaster, it's been snowing since early AM. The current forecast is for 10+ inches of wet heavy snow.

Jan

Hi and Welcome! I think the answer to your question depends a lot on personal choice and what sort of ship you want to build (and what we can readily get down here!) If you check the forums here you'll find a lot of discussion on the subject. A lot of people would disagree with me, but I like Mamoli. I'd steer clear of Mantua/Sergal and AL. I look forward to finding out what you decide. Good luck!

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

In my opinion a very good manufacturer is Jotika / Caldrcraft
Not cheap kits, but good quality materials and good drawings and manuals
Take a look at their "Nelsons Navy"

I have to agree about Jotika/Caldercraft. Building their Bounty now and very happy with it. Also Model Shipways kits are good quality with a wide variety of subjects, great customer service and often available at great prices on their frequent online sales.

glædelig jul from another Danish (by ancestry) Ships of Scale member! Will you have new blades for your Proxxon under the Christmas tree this year??
Glædelig jul 2 u 2 :) What will be under the Christmas tree remains a secret a couple of weeks more

Welcome aboard. This site has been extremely helpful to me. Wish I found it before I started my Bluenose from Model Shipways. There is so much information here and so many helpful members. I can only vouch for the quality of my Bluenose, though the instructions are not the best. The ship logs and online builds were what I’ve been following. I only refer to instructions and detailed drawings when I need a specific measurement. Do some research on the size of ship you want to build and the scale. I prefer the 1/64 scale so I purchased my next ship in that scale. For me it’s large enough to provide the details I want but not too large that it won’t fit on my mantle. Ship-1 Good luck and have fun.

hi all just new to this forum, and new to model ship building

Would love advice in best brand of kits to use, I am leaning towards occre and /or artesania latina, however have heard artesania Latina is not as good as used to be, also hear contructo and billings are good, any and all advice would be great, I'm all about realism and quality

Thanks
Hallo @Doubledutch9821
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back