Greco-Ottomon Ship Plans

Jeffrey, in my last post I wrote: "So, according to this new description and the sketch"...
All I did was to interpret the specific text and sketch!
The principle is the same as on the painting, no matter how the system is set. To my opinion the "historical accuracy" needs to be built on more than one painting...And because it's supposed a Gr sailboat, have also in mind the Gr inventiveness. :cool:
However coming to the painting, yes your last drawing is what I suggested before, with the cords sewed at the edge of the sail.

In your query about the Gr shipwrights, the answer is that there could be drawings, but these are might kept in personal collections, Municipality’s archives and Museums' basements, waiting for someone with passion and fund to retrieve them.
Unfortunately the management of Museums most of the times is given to persons that have only the less relation and the knowledge with the subject. You are not the only one who got disappointment from Gr Museums...

My whatever knowledge comes from a shared enthusiasm of our team, to prevent the loss of what still exists and whatever can be retrieved, related to Gr traditional shipbuilding.
We have set the website www.naftotopos.gr where we present accurate traditional ship models, nautical articles after research and we keep growing a large photographic archive (over 2500 ph) with Gr sailboats by personal effort.
Thx

Last edited:
Back