GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all again for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hind.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have finally completed the outer Hull Planking and cleaned it up just a bit in preparation for the second layer of Cherry Wood Planking. We have cut the trough to install her Keel and Bow Structure, this we feel must be installed before the second planking can be installed. We did check our LED Lighting again t=just to be sure that it was working as it should before we continue on, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence img_4693.jpgimg_4694.jpgimg_4695.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lawrence,
As always beautiful work. What do you feed those little guys to do such a wonderful job, and so quickly?

I didn't look to far before I went to micro mark and bought a 0.032" blade. I tried to do a rip cut on a 2mm x 6mm piece of mahogany with the blade that came with the saw but it just broke as I slid the stock into the blade. I will try again when my new blade comes.

Sgtmik post_id=21614 time=1503590646 user_id=3665 said:
Looking good Lawrence. Your workbench looks like mine. :cool:

Hello Mike

Thank you for your visit to my build log and for your kind words and comments. Yes, things just seem to pile up very fast that is for sure. How do you like the new Form Format, I think it is much easier on the eyes. Had a bit of trouble uploading pictures but Donnie and Geoff fixed that. Still, have a page missing from my build log as the change over came right in the middle of me posting. I am sure that the guys will figure it out in a day or so, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Greg

I did post this information for you before but it seems to be lost in the Form change over. Yes, I do have a sealed ball bearing on the end of my thin strip cutter jig. The retaining bolt that holds it in place I have ground down as much as I had dared in order to get as close to the table of the saw as possible, some times I wish it were lower to catch those very thin planks, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

TEST 11img_4696.jpgimg_4697.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Lawrence
Thanks for the photos of you great jig!
:text-coolphotos:
There must be some mix up when the forum was revamped. It's, the forum, looks and feels better now. We'll done Donnie.
:text-thankyouyellow:
Sorry I've been away for a few days, my BP is down again and I'm so tired.
Take care and your Golden Hinde is going great guns mate.
Are you going for the record of doing a model.
:text-lol:
Havagoodone mate
Greg

Peglegreg post_id=21698 time=1503723830 user_id=4775 said:
G'day Lawrence
Thanks for the photos of you great jig!
:text-coolphotos:
There must be some mix up when the forum was revamped. It's, the forum, looks and feels better now. We'll done Donnie.
:text-thankyouyellow:
Sorry I've been away for a few days, my BP is down again and I'm so tired.
Take care and your Golden Hinde is going great guns mate.
Are you going for the record of doing a model.
:text-lol:
Havagoodone mate
Greg
Hello Greg

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling all that great and I wish you a speedy recovery. I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes, the New Form does look much nicer and a lot easier on one's old eyes. They did have a few bugs in the pot but they got them ironed out, I did lose a few pictures and a couple of posts along with the one that I sent to you of my little thin strip jig that I replaced. I do have a PDF on building this jig that I will try to attach but I do believe it is too large for the form.

I have been thinking about a slide show for the Golden Hind but if I do that will probably around Christmas or even later, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence

PS yes the PDF is too large, Get WELL SOON

G'day Lawrence
Just wondering if you are ok? It's been a week since your last post here.
Any way mate, take it easy.
:happy-wavemulticolor:
Happymodelling
Greg

Peglegreg post_id=21942 time=1504281470 user_id=4775 said:
G'day Lawrence
Just wondering if you are ok? It's been a week since your last post here.
Any way mate, take it easy.
Happymodelling
Greg

Hello Greg

I thank you very much for your visit, for your very kind words and also for your concerns. Yes, every thing is find on this side of the pond. The little fellows and I have been installing the second layer of planking on the outer hull. This is rather a slow process as these Cherry planks are a mere 1.5mm x 0.50mm thick and they do not cover a lot of area, but all the work is still there and maybe just a shade more. We think that the Golden Hindis starting to look a bit more dressed up, but we still have a long way to go. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

PS My picture updater now requires that I must compress my pictures now before I can up load them, Must find an easy way to do so.IMG_4700.JPG.9e95a2947282c0ac08f814d94b2200fe.jpgimg_4701.thumb.JPG.b37e4b76aa004a4a3c7cf2e075222645.jpgIMG_4699.JPG.578ce11072a90125987e1bbb05c9df6c.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Lawrence
Glad to hear that you and the little fellow as well as your misses are ok.
:banana-rock:
You are right when you said the second planking is slow, especially at that size.
Glad to hear from you again.
:greetings-clapyellow:
Happymodelling
Greg

JosephH post_id=21997 time=1504399177 user_id=4723 said:
Looking great but it needa some water to sail in

Hello JosephH

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your very kind words and nice comments. Golly at the rate that I am moving along it will be next year before she is ready to launch, but then again this is one of the joys of model ship building, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence

I am glad to see your able to post again. We have followed one another build logs for many years now. You have a lot to contribute to a inexperienced Model ship builder like myself. The older members with experience have to keep and help new comers enjoy our hobby.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 post_id=22003 time=1504413357 user_id=3981 said:
Lawrence

I am glad to see your able to post again. We have followed one another build logs for many years now. You have a lot to contribute to a inexperienced Model ship builder like myself. The older members with experience have to keep and help new comers enjoy our hobby.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the Golden Hind. For your very kind words and overly nice comments, also for your help in helping me figure out my recent problem with the picture up loader.

I do try and also enjoy helping my Ship Mates with their little problems as best that I can, You know that I am not perfect and I do tend to make my share of mistakes, but then I try and correct them to the best of my ability, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I do thank you all for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hind. For your very kind words and overly nice comments

Back in the Old Ship Yard, we do have a little update to post before we close down the Old Ship Yard for our two weeks of vacation at a cottage for some much-needed R & R. The little fellows and I have completed the second Cherry Wood planking down to the hull break line, from now on the planking will be much easier, but I first must saw up a another batch of planks to continue on.

Our thoughts and concerns do go out to all of our Ship Mates in the Florida area and also in the south eastern states at this grave time in the approaching of this Huge Hurricane that has devastated the Caribbean, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence Webp.net-compress-image.jpgWebp.net-compress-image (1).jpg

Last edited:
zoly99sask post_id=22262 time=1504969339 user_id=3658 said:
Nice planking job Lawrence!!

Hello Zoltan

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your very kind words and nice comment. Yes, I do believe that the tiny planks of 1.5mm do look rather nice but they sure are a job in its self to apply. I am used to working with planks of between 5 and 6 mm. In a couple of hours, we will load up our car and head to the cottage at Dorset, Ontario for a couple of weeks of R & R, catch you all again in two weeks, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

G'day Lawrence
Your planking skills hides how hard it's realy is, to do a superb job as you have shown here.
:handgestures-salute:
Another example of the excellent shipwrights, we have here on this forum.
Havagreatholiday, mate, you all deserve it.
Greg

Peglegreg post_id=22277 time=1504996060 user_id=4775 said:
G'day Lawrence
Your planking skills hides how hard it's realy is, to do a superb job as you have shown here.
:handgestures-salute:
Another example of the excellent shipwrights, we have here on this forum.
Havagreatholiday, mate, you all deserve it.
Greg

Hello Greg

Just got back from two weeks of R and R, mostly all the Rest, sure not much Recreation that is for sure. We had two weeks of very nice weather, one part day of rain and today it got up to almost 90F, cant ask for better this time of year. I do thank you for all of the flowers, I think you do have me mixed up with some other great shipbuilder as I have never considered my self to be anything other than the normal guy that loves shipbuilding.

Tomorrow I will probably open up the Old Ship Yard and continue on with the second hull planking. Once that is completed then I can move on with the more fun stuff, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates.

Well it has been a week now since our return from our vacation and opening back up the Old Ship Yard along with a lot of home catch-up work. Out weather is very strange this fall as all week the temp. has been up in the low 92f or 33c and we have used our AC a lot this last week, yesterday it turned cold 39F or 4c and we now have our furnace running, but it is very nice and clear outside.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I are still working on the second outer hull planking that seems to go on forever and with any sort of luck, we will complete it this coming week so that we can move forward to the more interesting little jobs that we do enjoy so very much more. ENJOY.

Regards LawrenceWebp.net-compress-image (2).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (3).jpg

Last edited:
Back