"Golden Hind"1:53 Mamoli

Nice looking ship you have built. I must say this is first time I have seen the shrouds and ratlines tarred after installation versus using black thread up front.

But if that is what you had to work with you did an outstanding job with it all.

Sometimes we see a technique and wonder why we did’t think of it a long time ago! I don’t know if this was illustrated in the instructions but the technique of constructing the cap rail curves using laminated stock is spot on! Create the curved caps by laminating thinner strips that bend easier than a thicker cap rail piece. Duh! I have always had to resort to cutting the curved cap rail piece from a piece of sheet stock. This is something I will remember for all of those pesky deep curves in cap rails! Awesome!

I too am curious regarding the paintwork. How did you achieve the black outlines on the panel work ?
Nice job on the build.

I am curious about how you did all the fancy painting, which looks great and very exact.
I've got this kit, now marketed by Dusek, the 'painting' is supplied as a print out stick-on part'.
I have now started my kit , BUT, I do not like this 'stick-on' bit. There are so many different paint jobs on other GH models out there, so maybe I'll do my own design. I gather like most similar models, no one knows for sure what they looked like, including armament, quoted on Wiki etc as, 22. OcCre's kit has a 14 guns on the gun deck, but Mamoli/Dusak only have 8 ports on the main deck plus 2 on fo'c's'l & two on quarter deck. Perhaps the answer is to build her partly to OcCre's plans?

Last edited:
Beautiful galleon. I’m making Buccaneer by OcCre which is a fictional ship, but appears to be at least partially based on the Golden Hind. I stumbled onto your build when I was looking for what to do with the inner sides of the bulkwards. I liked your horizontal planking with some vertical supports so much that I’ll be doing something similar. Yours is a beautiful ship, and thanks for the idea.

Seastreet,
Excellent work on the Golden Hind. I acquired that kit recently as well, but it has the instruction! Thanks for sharing your build pics.
Mac Felsing

Seastreet,
Excellent work on the Golden Hind. I acquired that kit recently as well, but it has the instruction! Thanks for sharing your build pics.
Mac Felsing
Thank you! I really enjoyed that kit, I hope you do too.

Very impressive.
Having built the hull, I've abandoned the rest of the build as I had not been entirely happy with the kit from the moment I found it to have the 'stick-on' decor, instead of having to paint, which I did, to my own layout. No one really knows how she was painted, & when you compare all the different kits, every one of them is different, including the gun ports. To my disgust, I managed to fit one of the starboard wales higher (correct position) than it's port 'mate', which means planing & sanding it off, including paint! Maybe some 'rainy day', I'll have another go.

Very impressive.
Having built the hull, I've abandoned the rest of the build as I had not been entirely happy with the kit from the moment I found it to have the 'stick-on' decor, instead of having to paint, which I did, to my own layout. No one really knows how she was painted, & when you compare all the different kits, every one of them is different, including the gun ports. To my disgust, I managed to fit one of the starboard wales higher (correct position) than it's port 'mate', which means planing & sanding it off, including paint! Maybe some 'rainy day', I'll have another go.
I'd like to know how you paint such small decor witth such straight lines and exacting repeatability in the pattern. Do you do multiple maskings and use an airbrush? If so, what do you use for masking? Or, do you rely on raw skill and steady hands with a paint brush?

Last edited:
Back