Gold Version of the Black Pearl - My First Build

Sitting at about 126 hours now. Finished both anchors and hung them. Still waiting for some larger rope to completely finish them. Also finished the Captain’s quarters decorations. Have to hinge the cannon doors and build 5 more cannons. Starting to think about display cases for the finished ship. Any suggestions or advice?

E33998C8-7582-47A2-8B5D-5551AD605222.jpeg

798AC046-B9B7-4B3F-828B-540624547233.jpeg

52CC3718-0C5F-4B76-B96A-1E7D9E491715.jpeg

I found the black swoops on the bow to be very fiddly on my BP. Are the stocks on the anchor upside down?
Damn, you’re right!! Rookie mistake. Those things took a while to build. Might be easier to cut the anchor and glue it back together. Haha!! Yes the black swoops were one of the more frustrating and fiddle parts of the kit. I’m afraid I didn’t do them too much justice.

Damn, you’re right!! Rookie mistake. Those things took a while to build. Might be easier to cut the anchor and glue it back together. Haha!! Yes the black swoops were one of the more frustrating and fiddle parts of the kit. I’m afraid I didn’t do them too much justice.
If you're going to cut them apart then go ahead and turn the anchor stock 90 degrees...should be perpendicular to the anchor 'flukes'. That's a nice looking ship you're building!

If you're going to cut them apart then go ahead and turn the anchor stock 90 degrees...should be perpendicular to the anchor 'flukes'. That's a nice looking ship you're building!
Already turned them 90 degrees after I looked up a few on the internet. I actually did a bit of research before building them but I guess I didn’t even think about the angles. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the compliment.

I had a horrible time with the swoops. They kept breaking on me. You do have a nice looking BP. Very clean.

Getting close to the finish line. 5 cannons and the rudder, which I had to remake out of scrap because I apparently lost the original one, is about all I have left. I worked on the base today. Simple Oak with a routed edge and I turned some maple and resin pieces to make the notched stands. I am going to source a display case eventually. Mounted a shelf in the office for its permanent docking station. Also added the rope railing around the fore deck.

C7D6C154-2A73-44EB-88A7-A4BBEF4C2910.jpeg

A38146EB-9710-498E-ABD9-EB7686627AD7.jpeg

84A7DFD6-D515-4A4A-899A-3705523D42B6.jpeg

62E94E1E-F980-4DEE-BC1A-A8515DC2592E.jpeg

Very nice. For future reference, you could paint the first planking of the hull with dark paint, especially if you’re using darker wood for the second planking. The white of the under planks will show through any cracks of the outer planks. I absolutely love your lights and your stand.

Very nice. For future reference, you could paint the first planking of the hull with dark paint, especially if you’re using darker wood for the second planking. The white of the under planks will show through any cracks of the outer planks. I absolutely love your lights and your stand.
Yeah I thought about trying to stain some of the areas that show white but I haven’t came up with a fool proof plan as of yet. Since the walnut is sealed, I could probably use a qtip and push some stain into the cracks and then give it a quick wipe. Might try that on an inconspicuous area.

Yeah I thought about trying to stain some of the areas that show white but I haven’t came up with a fool proof plan as of yet. Since the walnut is sealed, I could probably use a qtip and push some stain into the cracks and then give it a quick wipe. Might try that on an inconspicuous area.
It’s probably too late on this model. As you get more experience, the cracks get smaller and you learn how to compensate. On my Soleil Royal, I used a thin coat of putty to simulate caulking and sanded it all off except for the joints between planks. It was a wet putty from a tube.

Getting close to the finish line. 5 cannons and the rudder, which I had to remake out of scrap because I apparently lost the original one, is about all I have left. I worked on the base today. Simple Oak with a routed edge and I turned some maple and resin pieces to make the notched stands. I am going to source a display case eventually. Mounted a shelf in the office for its permanent docking station. Also added the rope railing around the fore deck.

View attachment 357777

View attachment 357778

View attachment 357779

View attachment 357780
Your stern really turned out well.

Been working on the rudder. Mounted the hinges and am in the process of placing the nails. This is quite time consuming for me. Those little nails are extremely hard to place in the holes and get them to stay but I’m getting there. At about the 130 hour mark.

58E853A3-B25F-43E6-932C-08AF9F86F23C.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I finished the last five cannons today. Ship is pretty much done and on display. I ordered a display case for it today. Sitting at around 150 hours give or take. It was a fun ride. Hope to do another one at some point, fully rigged. No real complaints with the kit except the instructions and the fiddly bow railing. Couldn’t have done it without all the resources on this website! Thank everybody.

IMG_6259.jpegIMG_6261.jpegIMG_6264.jpegIMG_6263.jpegIMG_6265.jpeg

Back