Gluing clear windows

Hi, Can someone help with some guidance. I am having problems with gluing the clear plastic sheet that simulates windows on wood. CA glue leaves slight smudges or leaks no matter how careful I am. Yellow wood glue holds for a while but eventually comes loose.

I was thinking about contact cement but that can be used on one side. Any other types of glue that will work.

Your experienced ideas will be well appreciated.

Hi, Can someone help with some guidance. I am having problems with gluing the clear plastic sheet that simulates windows on wood. CA glue leaves slight smudges or leaks no matter how careful I am. Yellow wood glue holds for a while but eventually comes loose.

I was thinking about contact cement but that can be used on one side. Any other types of glue that will work.

Hi FraL514 ,do the double frame( wood plastic wood), try Frank

Paison, Thank you. What part of Italy are you from. My father and Mother were born in Strongoli, Catanzaro, Calabria Italy.

The best products I have found for glueing windows are Formula 560 Canopy Glue from Pacer, and Micro Kristal Klear from Microscale Industries Inc.
Both products start out white but dry clear. The Micro Kristal Klear can also be used to fill in portholes up to 5 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter, and when dry has the appearance of old antique glass.

Canopy glue is good Windows

while watching a Youtube ship building video the builder used “Mod Podge” for his ships windows. I tried it and like the results. It is not clear but does resemble antique glass.

What I’ve done is place a small beat of 5 minute epoxy on the edge of the clear plastic so that the epoxy forms a mechanical clamp to hold the plastic against the wood You could also use Elmers white glue.Either way the glue adheres to the wood and forms a narrow lip over the clear plastic to hold it in place

I always use Formula 560 Canopy Glue on my r/c aircraft.

Bill

1-5525725.jpg

Elmer's has a clear PVC glue similar to it's white glue that is pretty effective and won't haze clear plastic. I have played around with it a couple times now and am pretty happy with the results.

Back