Glue Choices

I am torn between Super Glue and Titebond III for use on the frames on my lobster boat project. I use Titebond III extensively in my woodworking workshop and I like it very much, but the drying time is slower than I like. I worry about the frames not fastening tight enough to the keel in particular. I have tried super glue on a few practice pieces, and about 50% of them did not hold. I used "The Original Super Glue", I have a tube of Gel Super Glue, but I haven't tried it yet.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, the frames are 5/64" thick and 1/4" wide and, the keel is White Oak and the frames are cedar.

I think Titebond II & II have that yellowish color to the finished dried product, Elmer's Glue-All and a couple other of their products dry clear and are plenty strong. If you're not the type to walk away and let dry, I can recommend Aleene's Original Tacky Glue. It's more for crafts, but it is done quickly, dries clear, and bonded parts can be released with irubbing alcohol. I only use CA glue for mixed parts (metal on wood). CA fumes aren't good for you and they can make some people pretty sick.

Just to add to the opinions above I use the high tack quick dry PVA glue such as Aileen’s mentioned above with great success. CA gel is one I use often as well as CA thick. I rarely use CA thin unless I need to wick the glue under a part. For hull bulkheads I use the high tack quick dry PVA. Same for planking along with the CA gel. I use the CA gel for rigging knots…doesn’t wick into the rigging lines as much.

There is also Titebond Instant Bond when you can't clamp.
"Titebond Instant Bond is a two-part bonding system that takes between 5 - 15 seconds to set and 30 - 60 seconds for initial cure. It provides a strong, permanent bond and is ideal for hard to reach joints or surface areas that are difficult to clamp."

Depends on how reversable (or if) you want your bonds to be. The white glues undo easily with isopropyl (rubbing, not denatured) alcohol. Yellow glues ,not so much.
Liquid Hide glue,(Titebond is one brand) warm water and it comes right apart. Gluepot hide glue was used for centuries long before any of these other adhesives were invented with great ,long lasting (centuries) effect, and with the heated gluepot stuff ,instant adhesion, no clamping required, good for tacking down lines and belaying pins, or anything a builder might want to revisit and re-adjust later. The liquid hide glue drying process can be accelerated with a hair dryer.
Debonder for CA is available, mixed success.
I like Loctite CA gel (blue cap). comes out in a nice even bead( a little gush at first) side levers give nice even control.
I'll Have to track down some of the above mentioned products, with which I'm not familiar, and give them a try.
Pete

"I like Loctite CA gel (blue cap). comes out in a nice even bead( a little gush at first) side levers give nice even control."

I found a few loctite with blue cap gels on amazon Pete. Could you point out the one you like?

FWIW I’ve been building ship models for the past 68 years and I use Elmers white glue and none of my models havre ever fallen apart. White glue dries fairly quickly, much faster than yellow glue. Dries invisible and is strong. On most glu

FWIW I’ve been building ship models for the past 68 years and I use Elmers white glue and none of my models havre ever fallen apart. White glue dries fairly quickly, much faster than yellow glue. Dries invisible and is strong. On most glue joints the wood will tear before the glue joint fails.

NOTE: sorry about the previous reply I accidentally hit the reply button before finishing my reply.

To continue. Easy cleanup with water. Plus glue joints can be undone with 90% isopropyl alcohol
I use super glue occasionally. Mostly as a clamp to hold pieces together while the white dries.
To sum up. In my opinion for wooden ship model builds Elmers white glue is the way to go.

I have been using Gorilla yellow wood glue with great results (Home Depot- USA). It dries enough in about 5 minutes to make things stick and hold. I avoid CA as I wind up with more CA glue on my fingers than the model. No matter how careful I am,

Back