Frustrated!!

Ship building is meant to be enjoyable. It is a hobby rift with numerous challenges that require experience and learned skills to overcome. Like you I started that was beyond my skill level. instead of stuffing a firecracker into the hull and blowing it to smitherings I packed that kit in a box. I completed it 20 years later when I had learned the skills I needed. It’s a hobby and hobbies are meant to be enjoyable.

I bought the same kit at a junque joint for $4. The hull was partially completed. I finished the model and it looks good . I eliminated the cannon and sails . It was fun , and for 4 bucks I had nothing to lose. I disagree with my elders and betters and recommend that you finish and mount it. Don't fret the small stuff . Just get this one done . Otherwise it will haunt you.

Some good advice here--maybe taking a breather and starting a new project is the best. If you do continue the Swift I'd abandon the sails--sails on any ship are hard to do right and if not well done will detract from a model. Sounds like you have a lot of other projects but I'd recommend trying a Mamoli kit like the Roter Lowe--they have really good instructions and much better quality than the Swift. Good luck!

Fellas and/or ladies...
I'm STILL working on my first little ship model, the Swift 1805 by Artensania Latina. This kit I bought in the 90's started and parked it. I retired at 60 in 2022 and built my beautiful hobby studio and have it stocked with hundreds of kits, tools and Supplies...
I'm finishing all "in-process" models before starting anything new. Of that is the Swift and two balsa scale models of the Mr. Mulligan at 30" and 39.5"both rubber powered- these I will fly since I've never done that either yet.
Back to the P.O.S. Swift, trying to rig it and add the poorly made ( by me) cloth sails. The plans show arrows pointing to how to run a line but, no termination point! And the plans are different from front to back plus looking at the box art, well dam! That's different too.

I feel.like slamming it on the floor then complete its demise using fire...
Since it's my first ship, I'm cutting myself some slack and telling myself it is for learning not displaying...
I have no idea how to add the sails, what kinds of knots to use and where to tie lines off.
Where can I find that kind of information??
I want to build a nice display piece for my next kit I have many to choose from. What is a good kit?
Any direction is appreciated
Thank you,
Steve probel
I am just as frustrated but am building the new version. It's my first wooden kit too, so am learning along the way and happy with the botch ups I've done. Am at the point of rigging and the sails too, and mightily annoyed that the instructions leave it to your own devices from a certain point.... does anyone have a set of the old instructions that might be more complete from start to finish?

Steven, I think you need to develop an attack plan. Your story reminds me when I discovered many years ago that kits are not necessarily accurate. There are compromises made by the kit manufacturers that vary by the company.

I am currently not modeling a ship but regardless of the subject I would approach it the same. After deciding on a subject comes research and more research. Plans are then made or purchased and checked against my research.

Formulate a construction plan regardless whether it is a kit or scratch build. This website is a great resource of information to give you answers by just reading the blogs.

And finally just have fun. It is a learning process and there will always be disappointing moments mixed in with other moments of sheer gratification on accomplishing a difficult task

Paul

Fellas and/or ladies...
I'm STILL working on my first little ship model, the Swift 1805 by Artensania Latina. This kit I bought in the 90's started and parked it. I retired at 60 in 2022 and built my beautiful hobby studio and have it stocked with hundreds of kits, tools and Supplies...
I'm finishing all "in-process" models before starting anything new. Of that is the Swift and two balsa scale models of the Mr. Mulligan at 30" and 39.5"both rubber powered- these I will fly since I've never done that either yet.
Back to the P.O.S. Swift, trying to rig it and add the poorly made ( by me) cloth sails. The plans show arrows pointing to how to run a line but, no termination point! And the plans are different from front to back plus looking at the box art, well dam! That's different too.

I feel.like slamming it on the floor then complete its demise using fire...
Since it's my first ship, I'm cutting myself some slack and telling myself it is for learning not displaying...
I have no idea how to add the sails, what kinds of knots to use and where to tie lines off.
Where can I find that kind of information??
I want to build a nice display piece for my next kit I have many to choose from. What is a good kit?
Any direction is appreciated
Thank you,
Steve probel
Hi Steve,

I sympathise with your frustration. I was in the same frame of mind when tackling the rigging on my Artesania Bluenose II. The A-L instructions were absolutely rubbish! In the end I bought a good book which showed all the proper rigging details for the ship. I used a large piece of plain wall paper and drew out all the rigging lines with coloured sharpies so that I could follow each line without getting confused. It was a really useful exercise, I learnt a lot about rigging and it was not particularly arduous to do. My last model ship was a Chinese made kit from Yuanquing which came with some "instructions" which were all in Chinese, but on the CD I found this PDF booklet on " Rigging Period Ship Models" which has a lot of images of the different rigging lines on period ships, what they are and where they should go. It may help you "decipher" the A-L instructions that you have. The Chinese text can be translated using a phone app. You may (or may not) find it useful.

Dom

Attachments

• rigging 1.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 14
  • rigging 2.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 7
  • rigging 3.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 6
One thought for you…we often seek “exactly right” in our modeling…we all do…thus it is easy to get frustrated with parts or instructions that aren’t exactly right. For example, your frustration about where to anchor or belay a rigging line…it really doesn’t matter to get a belay point exactly right…in this case “somewhere close” is actually good. So step back and try to see the general gist of a build…do not worry about things being exactly right. In the end you will have a nice finished model and no one will care if a rigging line is tied off here or there…

I appreciate all the wisdom and advice in this thread. I have been trying to restore a 95-year-old pond boat that my father built in high school. I have struggled on and off for a few years with air brushing. I have viewed online tutorials and had some quick hands-on training, but I either get stipple or runs. I am using a Paasche gun connected to a Master pump with tank. I continually experiment with nozzles, paint mixing, pressure and air flow settings. I am using Tamiya gloss paint, and recently bought some Tamiya paint retarded to seeif that will improve things. I am at the point where I want to forget it, but need the air brushing skills for my other models that languish on the shelf. Any recommendations would be most appreciated. I am 75. I would like to complete this project and pass the boat on to my daughter before time runs out. Thank you for your time.

Thank you to everyone who chimed inn!!
Some very good and heartfelt suggestions were offered,. You bet I expect perfection on all things I create weather cooking, playing (formerly)in a rock band and building anything. My hands aren't strong anymore, dexterity isn't like it used to be but in my mind, I have the same desires as I always had...
I will get that boat finished sans the sails, it actually looks nice so far I'll try to post some pictures when I figure that out.
I wish I could stop by all your shop or building spaces and enjoy a beer or coffee and talk shop with everyone..
Thank you for the continued support!
Steveidean..

Thank you to everyone who chimed inn!!
Some very good and heartfelt suggestions were offered,. You bet I expect perfection on all things I create weather cooking, playing (formerly)in a rock band and building anything. My hands aren't strong anymore, dexterity isn't like it used to be but in my mind, I have the same desires as I always had...
I will get that boat finished sans the sails, it actually looks nice so far I'll try to post some pictures when I figure that out.
I wish I could stop by all your shop or building spaces and enjoy a beer or coffee and talk shop with everyone..
Thank you for the continued support!
Steveidean..
We will try to help as much as possible, so please do not hesitate to ask any question

I think this frustration is why many of us have "several" projects going on in different states of completion. It's nice to step away, focus on something else - take a breath - then get back to it! Bottomline, this is suppose to be fun.
What WISE WORD: From a real builder. Do not try to build if you are frustrated, angry, or down nerves etc , l you will only do worse.
That happens today, many Vintage kit is coming out of grandfather's or father's stock- after passing away -and some will try to finish them
sorry if I was a little out of my nerves-wife with brain cancer -
now swift.3 first picks are my build 40 years ago or more - very cheap model.
The rest are from the Manoly kit. quit more expensive model

b-swif.jpg

b-swift 184.jpg

b-swift 3.jpg

MAMOLI_-_(MV59)_HMS_Swift_samolepka_(390x220_mm).jpg

71513176_411172973135406_7810375870039719936_n.jpg

71550393_411172919802078_1608376857630081024_n.jpg

72484589_411172789802091_7726883548346449920_n.jpg

72751175_411172866468750_2856114962206556160_n.jpg

11071096_10202814102593398_9184760772965638614_n.jpg

El Capi,
No one was or is out of line with any comments offered.......
I'm so sorry your wife has cancer, mine went though breast cancer 8 years ago. it was caught early and she is clear of it.
I hope there is a similar outcome for yours...
God Bless you.

There are always lots of jobs to do during a build and by no means do you have to do them in sequence. Take a break from what you are getting frustrated with and do another task - sand some spars into shape, paint some parts, build some easy bits. You may well find that while you are doing this your brain keeps ticking over on the problem and the answer will come. Remember that time is on your side!

Hi, I just stumbled upon this site while looking up what kind of wood bokapi was. I saw your comment on the Swift 1805 boat. I assume that is the Virginia Pilot Boat? I just finished building that, took forever. My first boat. Mine said nothing anywhere about sails. And yes, the directions and diagrams are not consistent with each other. What I thought would be interesting was I made a video of the assembly of it, put it on YouTube. It's too big a file to attach here, this is the YouTube link, if you are interested. Let me know if we have the same boat.

Markh7,
It's the same kit but a different release. The cover art on mine is shown with sails but no cannon and I have furnished lower levels in two places. Everything else seems the same. It is a nice looking little boat-it's the first one I purchased and it's the one that got me interested ship modeling probably 25 or so years ago.
I will finish it before starting another one. My sails actually look OK (I bought a used sewing machine, took a couple lessons to learned how to use it too) they just don't fit. I can't get past that the manufacturers do not spend the time and create a usable set of instructions. The newer kits keep getting better and better but most of the instructions are just inadequate.
so disappointing.

... a Victory of any manufacturer? Without HMS Victory your stock is incomplete :cool:
At some point - I will own a Victory, what's the best kit out right now...
money I have - time I have - Skill, still building, always building.
Thanks!

...- I will own a Victory, what's the best kit out right now....
The Victory from Caldercraft

Please take a look at this actual discussion

Back