Frustrated!!

Fellas and/or ladies...
I'm STILL working on my first little ship model, the Swift 1805 by Artensania Latina. This kit I bought in the 90's started and parked it. I retired at 60 in 2022 and built my beautiful hobby studio and have it stocked with hundreds of kits, tools and Supplies...
I'm finishing all "in-process" models before starting anything new. Of that is the Swift and two balsa scale models of the Mr. Mulligan at 30" and 39.5"both rubber powered- these I will fly since I've never done that either yet.
Back to the P.O.S. Swift, trying to rig it and add the poorly made ( by me) cloth sails. The plans show arrows pointing to how to run a line but, no termination point! And the plans are different from front to back plus looking at the box art, well dam! That's different too.

I feel.like slamming it on the floor then complete its demise using fire...
Since it's my first ship, I'm cutting myself some slack and telling myself it is for learning not displaying...
I have no idea how to add the sails, what kinds of knots to use and where to tie lines off.
Where can I find that kind of information??
I want to build a nice display piece for my next kit I have many to choose from. What is a good kit?
Any direction is appreciated
Thank you,
Steve probel

I agree here with Brian,
Do not work anymore on the Swift - start definiterly a new project and not a low quality kit.
It is not worth to restart the hobby with big frustrations
In the meantime the quality of the kits are much better - maybe think about a nice one masted kit model from Caldercraft
f.e. the HM Gunboat William 1795
bigger scale of 1:32 - only one mast with reduced rigging - and very good quality manuals and drawings
and you will learn from the beginning all necessary construction methods
William_Main_lrg.jpg

Take a look also at this page - you can follow the main steps of the construction

Hello Sometimes you have such phases, then it just doesn't work. As the others have said. Put it away and start something else. Leave the matter alone. At some point it will continue, just don't stress, it's just a hobby

Fellas and/or ladies...
I'm STILL working on my first little ship model, the Swift 1805 by Artensania Latina. This kit I bought in the 90's started and parked it. I retired at 60 in 2022 and built my beautiful hobby studio and have it stocked with hundreds of kits, tools and Supplies...
I'm finishing all "in-process" models before starting anything new. Of that is the Swift and two balsa scale models of the Mr. Mulligan at 30" and 39.5"both rubber powered- these I will fly since I've never done that either yet.
Back to the P.O.S. Swift, trying to rig it and add the poorly made ( by me) cloth sails. The plans show arrows pointing to how to run a line but, no termination point! And the plans are different from front to back plus looking at the box art, well dam! That's different too.

Since it's my first ship, I'm cutting myself some slack and telling myself it is for learning not displaying...
I have no idea how to add the sails, what kinds of knots to use and where to tie lines off.
I want to build a nice display piece for my next kit I have many to choose from. What is a good kit?
Thank you,
Steve probel
ask capi. I can or will guide you. I have built over 35 models over 50 years. my swift build 1970thy

b-swif.jpg

I agree here with Brian,
Do not work anymore on the Swift - start definiterly a new project and not a low quality kit.
It is not worth to restart the hobby with big frustrations
In the meantime the quality of the kits are much better - maybe think about a nice one masted kit model from Caldercraft
f.e. the HM Gunboat William 1795
bigger scale of 1:32 - only one mast with reduced rigging - and very good quality manuals and drawings
and you will learn from the beginning all necessary construction methods
View attachment 383128

Take a look also at this page - you can follow the main steps of the construction

sorry Brian and Axel, but I do not agree with you. the ones he is trying to build, are very different from a later verrtion

sorry Brian and Axel, but I do not agree with you. the ones he is trying to build, are very different from a later verrtion
I know very well - the Swift is a very old kit, already 40 years old, with relatively poor quality in the material (wood, rope, blocks etc.)
Screenshot 2023-07-06 105806.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 105841.png

My suggestion was to build something else - completely

Nevertheless there is f.e. maybe the possibility to use the "new" information of the re-released version of the swift - much better rope material and blocks can be also bought from aftermarket sellers

Here are the manual, some small "poster" (unfortunately no drawing) and also the parts list of the actual model kit of the Swift

Attachments

• Listado de Piezas - Liste des Pie_ces - Parts list.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
and when you want to install sails, and not able to produce good ones by yourself, there is f.e. the possibility to buy a set

HIS - is producing sails, if not from stock, they can also make custom sails made for a reasonable price

What I have in stock to build;
YQ Blue nose
Artensania Latina Constellation-1990's kit
Artensania Latina Harvey - 1990's kit
OcCre Beagle
MS - Constitution
MS - Niagara
MS - Essex
MS - Confederacy
MS - Charles W Morgan
MS - Syren
MS - New Bedford Whaleboat
MS - Armed Longboat
MS - English Pinnace
MS - Muscongus bay lobster smack
Midwest - Canadian Canoe
Midwest - Indian Girl canoe
Miwest - Dingy
Dusek - Viking long ship
Pavel Nitikin's Drakkar Oseberg
Chinese knock off of Amati's Viking Oseberg ( piece of crap)
Master Korabel 1/72 ships boat kit
Any suggestions of what would be a next kit for me to build?
Thanks,
Steviedean

That is quite a list of kits. Since you solicited suggestions for the next kit to build, I'll put my 2 cents in and call out, in no particular order, the Midwest Dinghy, Midwest Canadian Canoe, and the MS Muscongus Lobster Smack as kits to consider. These are relatively easy kits and will help build one's confidence level while reducing the frustration level. They are fun kits, and after all, isn't a hobby supposed to be fun, well at least most of the time?
Good luck and I look forward to your build log(s) which ever kit you finally decide to embark upon.
...henry

Steve,
I will say that "most" of us modelers do not put sails on unless this is something a person has a considerable experience with. Most of the time, a ship looks best without the sails as you can see through the model, as the sails will restrict some viewing. I agree that any of the Midwest boats/ships are good and should not take a lot of time to build. Keep us posted.

Fellas and/or ladies...

Thank you,
Steve probel
Hi, I just stumbled upon this site while looking up what kind of wood bokapi was. I saw your comment on the Swift 1805 boat. I assume that is the Virginia Pilot Boat? I just finished building that, took forever. My first boat. Mine said nothing anywhere about sails. And yes, the directions and diagrams are not consistent with each other. What I thought would be interesting was I made a video of the assembly of it, put it on YouTube. It's too big a file to attach here, this is the YouTube link, if you are interested. Let me know if we have the same boat.

I know very well - the Swift is a very old kit, already 40 years old, with relatively poor quality in the material (wood, rope, blocks etc.)
View attachment 383135 View attachment 383136

My suggestion was to build something else - completely

Nevertheless there is f.e. maybe the possibility to use the "new" information of the re-released version of the swift - much better rope material and blocks can be also bought from aftermarket sellers

Here are the manual, some small "poster" (unfortunately no drawing) and also the parts list of the actual model kit of the Swift

I would go for Swift, following the PDF instruction. I bu8ild it my selves 40 or more years bach. There is somewhere in the build log a very beautiful model of Swift, quite different from the one I made
This was/(is the case of us builders who started about 1960.
I have built over 35 models over the years, until 2014, but I have never seen one of them mentioned on my page. Why I do not know. Management fault?

Last edited:
I would go for Swift, following the PDF instruction. I bu8ild it my selves 40 or more years bach. There is somewhere in the build log a very be3utifull model of Swift, quite different than the one I made
ç

made by @DocBlake

made by @ItsMatty123

made by @Barry1

Fellas and/or ladies...

Thank you,
Steve probel
I disagree with not finishing the model and starting a new one. My very 1st ship was the Swift which I bought in the 90's as well. Since I was new to the hobby, I had low expectations of building a quality model. Many mistakes were made (e.g too much wood filler,too much CA glue,sewing sails, rigging,etc) but I did learn a lot. Kept notes on my mistakes for future reference. I eventually finished it and I am glad I did. If I didn't I probably would not continued with the hobby.

... a Victory of any manufacturer? Without HMS Victory your stock is incomplete :cool:
Just don't.... it'll drive you over the edge :p. Save the Victory for when you're ready for a big, very time-consuming build.

I parked work on my first ship (the Heller 1:100 Victory) about 18 months ago because it had stopped being fun. I hadn't even got very far on it, but had become totally hung up on trying to achieve perfection on one section. I felt I had to produce 'progress', even though no-one is expecting anything of me. l'll go back to it, probably sometime in the next year or so, but only if and when I feel interested enough.

I did learn a valuable lesson through that and it's replacement, the Cutty Sark, to go easy on myself. At the end of the day, the only person who will really appreciate or even enjoy the care and detail that's gone into my model will be me, and from a distance, friends on here. Most other people will probably just go 'wow' and immediately check their phone again for tweets.

So my advice is to do the same. If you want to park it, do so. You don't have to justify that to anyone. And for your next model, well, whatever interests you most. And if that isn't one of the kits in your stash, change horses! Personally, I took a break and did a quick'n'dirty build of a plane and a car. It was fun and I came back to the Cutty Sark refreshed.

Back