FRIESLAND by Mamoli

I have one issue with this kit. The only reference to any line of battleship in any of the lists of them is to is one ship named WEST FRIESLAND, but there is no ship named FRIESLAND. Could they be the same? Does it matter? I would rather build ships of historic interest than to build generic ships. Does anyone have any ideas?

I finished a model of SAN FELIPE last year but there is no such ship listed in the Spanish archives. However, upon research, I found a ship with very similar lines and details named REAL FELIPE. I've decided to mount the model with the latter name.

Bill

Last edited:
This is a build I am really looking forward to. @Maarten has built an exquisite model of the previous version of this kit, and I was wondering when someone was going to attempt the re-release. I am, however, baffled by function of these strips of wood I have indicated with the red arrows. To me it looks like they fill up the gap between the false keel and actual keel which was intended as the rabbet?

Rabbet.png

I have one issue with this kit. The only reference to any line of battleship in any of the lists of them is to is one ship named WEST FRIESLAND, but there is no ship named FRIESLAND. Could they be the same? Does it matter? I would rather build ships of historic interest than to build generic ships. Does anyone have any ideas?

Bill
Bill you asked for it. ROTF

That is an interesting point - one that has been debated many times. Dutch shipwrights were notorious for not documenting their builds and actual build plans only appeared much later. Then you had the issue that ships changed shape and form many times during their lives (especially true of the men-o-war) as they were regularly shot to pieces, were severely damaged and had to be rebuilt/repaired. So that raises the issue of the exact stage of the ship's life that the kit was based on. (Just look at the different color schemes of the HMS Victory as an example).

Then of course you have the other issue of kits that may have been based on actual ships' names, but they are historically so inaccurate that they can barely lay claim to be accurate and/or relevant models of the ship they claim to represent.

So, in a nutshell we have a saying on SOS - build what you love and love what you build. I will stick to that as my answer! By the way, the previous version of this kit built into a beautiful model!

This is a build I am really looking forward to. @Maarten has built an exquisite model of the previous version of this kit, and I was wondering when someone was going to attempt the re-release. I am, however, baffled by function of these strips of wood I have indicated with the red arrows. To me it looks like they fill up the gap between the false keel and actual keel which was intended as the rabbet?

View attachment 427684
This is a forced procedure (not in accordance with the instructions) because the supplied 2 keel strips after being glued together are 1 mm thicker than the keel plywood. I used these 0.5 mm strips on both sides to align the different dimensions, so that the keel does not twist in the vertical plane.

I finished a model of SAN FELIPE last year but there is no such ship listed in the Spanish archives. However, upon research, I found a ship with very similar lines and details named REAL FELIPE. I've decided to mount the model with the latter name.

Bill

I read this kit might be based on the Hohenzollern model - as per the book "Der Holländische Zweidecker" by Heinrich Winter. I do not know if that is correct.
There was a ship built in one of the Dutch provinces of that time, the province Frisia or Friesland- in the city of Harlingen in 1665 called "Groot Frisia" or just "Frisia". It became the flagship of Admiral Tjerk Hiddes de Vries.

But no matter what, as Heinrich so beautifully expressed, build what you love and love what you build.

This is a forced procedure (not in accordance with the instructions) because the supplied 2 keel strips after being glued together are 1 mm thicker than the keel plywood. I used these 0.5 mm strips on both sides to align the different dimensions, so that the keel does not twist in the vertical plane.
The keel strips are supposed to be thicker than the plywood keel. This is for your rabbet - the garboard strake will fit into that 0.5mm recess on both sides which equals your 1mm.

In other words, where you placed those wooden strips, is where your garboard strake is supposed to fit in so that it lies flush with the actual keel.

The keel strips are supposed to be thicker than the plywood keel. This is for your rabbet - the garboard strake will fit into that 0.5mm recess on both sides which equals your 1mm.
thanks for the warning, but I removed the auxiliary strips after the hernia was completely glued
the instructions included with the kit are complicated and unclear

Good. I normally plank first and only after that has been completed, do I add the actual keel, but that is up to the builder's preference. Is the model single or double planking?

Good. I normally plank first and only after that has been completed, do I add the actual keel, but that is up to the builder's preference. Is the model single or double planking?
According to the instructions, I should have assembled the keel part in a different way in the first step, which I did not accept due to space and material reasons.
The hull cladding will be made of two layers.

Bill you asked for it. ROTF

That is an interesting point - one that has been debated many times. Dutch shipwrights were notorious for not documenting their builds and actual build plans only appeared much later. Then you had the issue that ships changed shape and form many times during their lives (especially true of the men-o-war) as they were regularly shot to pieces, were severely damaged and had to be rebuilt/repaired. So that raises the issue of the exact stage of the ship's life that the kit was based on. (Just look at the different color schemes of the HMS Victory as an example).

Then of course you have the other issue of kits that may have been based on actual ships' names, but they are historically so inaccurate that they can barely lay claim to be accurate and/or relevant models of the ship they claim to represent.

So, in a nutshell we have a saying on SOS - build what you love and love what you build. I will stick to that as my answer! By the way, the previous version of this kit built into a beautiful model!
Thank you for your fast reply! I understand what you are saying. In fact, I have completely rebuilt a now out of production small scale HMS Victory by providing a large amount of detailing and remodeling. The kit was a post-Trafalgar version complete with a lowered bulwark on the forecastle. The completed model has the raised forecastle. The kit directions are so basic that they call for drawing the gunports onto the hull. I have re-drilled the lids and provided gundecks, cannons, and gunport lids.

Yes, I am aware that ships change over time. Having served in the Navy for 24 years, I have experienced many of these changes. All I am saying, is that I like to base my builds on research and that I have found none. But I found a ship with a similar name. Could they be the same? Also, I agree with the sentiment; Build what you love and love what you build.
Thanks,

Bill

Great - you started already your new project - many thanks -> it will be very interesting to follow

I read this kit might be based on the Hohenzollern model - as per the book "Der Holländische Zweidecker" by Heinrich Winter. I do not know if that is correct.
There was a ship built in one of the Dutch provinces of that time, the province Frisia or Friesland- in the city of Harlingen in 1665 called "Groot Frisia" or just "Frisia". It became the flagship of Admiral Tjerk Hiddes de Vries.

But no matter what, as Heinrich so beautifully expressed, build what you love and love what you build.
Herman,

Thanks for your comment! It gives me a lead for some historical basis for the ship. I appreciate it!

Bill

Happy birthday, Bill! I wish you the best of health, quality time with your family and friends and the time to devote to our beautiful hobby!

Back