French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

Looking in principle good.... but was such a latern not only on the main mast - please check

Whether it's five or twenty deadeyes you need to align, it is a tedious job at best.
(I wonder if they would have been so perfectly aligned in the old days as we model them to be...)

Whether it's five or twenty deadeyes you need to align, it is a tedious job at best.
(I wonder if they would have been so perfectly aligned in the old days as we model them to be...)
you are absolutely right with your question, it seems that we are little bit exaggerating With the pursuit of visual perfection, which did not exist in practice :) Thumbsup

I think you're losing sight of the fact that in reality, at 1/1 scale, it was quite simple to correctly align the deadeyes (and also orient them) so that the lanyards of shrouds were parallel without touching each other to avoid premature wear, the problem we have is that we operate at 1/72 scale and everything becomes complicated by this reduction, without betraying the impression produced by the ship seen in real size :)

I think you're losing sight of the fact that in reality, at 1/1 scale, it was quite simple to correctly align the deadeyes (and also orient them) so that the lanyards of shrouds were parallel without touching each other to avoid premature wear, the problem we have is that we operate at 1/72 scale and everything becomes complicated by this reduction, without betraying the impression produced by the ship seen in real size :)
I understand. Still, the strains on the shrouds and lanyards, the variation in material properties of the ropes could result in uneven elongation, while under load.
Having said that, having the deadeyes properly lined up ís a beautiful sight.

Back