French cutter Le Cerf (1779-1780) - Scratch build 1:48 or just a DEER...

It is looking so easy, when you show your work in this informative videos - Very good work.
I am surprised, that you are not working with a mill, that you prepare the notches with the circular saw - Great work-man/woman-ship

Hi Olga,

i use a heatgun to bend the wood. A bending like this take more or less one minute. Its depend as well from the wood but it goes very fast.
For hard bendings i put the wood in the water for 2-5 Minutes.
Thanks for your videos. Well done.

I can't use the heatgun on the model - as it will heat up the ship as well and the planks may peel off.
And if to bend separately on the table - it will be only in one plane. And the waterway on the model bends in two planes and makes a screw.
Therefore, in this case it is better not to hurry and to dry the waterway in place.

But thanks for the heatgun idea, as I usually use a soldering iron for quick bending and it burns wood often...

How did you determine the size of mast and yard for the small boat?

I would like to do something that looks like what you did in the other small boat kit I have to work on.

View attachment 154282
View attachment 154283
Making nails out of brass wire and nailing the hull.
You have a very nicely laid out and applied planking result with the small brass rod/wire nails. Are all of the planks of equal width or did you spile them? That is what is giving me hesitation in starting on my Bluenose as it appears that significant spiling is needed for the garboard plank and afterwards.. . although the kit only provides equal width materials and the plans conflict in their views. Any suggestions are appreciate as the Bluenose will be my first build after two of the strip canoes with their equal 3/32 x 3/32 strips and sanding after laying. PT-2

Back