French Chebec from 1958 Popular Mechanics

I wasn't aware that people posted old, aka not to current standards, ship plans here until I saw the HOBBIES old time plan The Kings Ship posted, so just had to post this. I built this ship month-to-month in 1958, while in high school. It took me a year to complete. I'm amazed to this day that a sophomore in high school would spend his time doing this, spending close to 1,000 hours in the process. While I was unable to do the fancy carving (I painted the sides instead), I thought the results were quite nice. At the time, I could not afford the $1 each for the brass cannon (that's over $10 each today, you realize!), I only installed the 4 of the 60 guns under the poop deck where I could not later reach them, hoping to later add the more visible ones. I never did add them, and unfortunately, never did make a case for the model. It made many moves with me, from Pennsylvania to Ohio to New York to Alabama and finally to South Carolina, suffering a bit during each, and after storage in my attic for years here, finally was discarded, with its spars and rigging broken. It was a sad moment.

Anyhow, to this day I still love the Chebec and think it has the most beautiful lines of any ship. I'd since found the plans on Google, and thought I would present them here, if not for building use, at least for your interest and comparison with the excellent plans, kits and information we have today, making our model construction so much better and easier.

I will start the post of the articles in the next post.

Last edited:
November 1958 Popular Mechanics Magazine:
1688829979775.png
Hmmmm.... I just noticed the Copyrighted material stamp at the bottom. While this information is free, and is certainly public domain, it may be that I should be prevented from posting it here. That being the case, I will instead simply post links for the pages of each month's issue so that others can view them:

November 1958
December 1958
January 1959
February 1959
March 1959

I am still amazed I could make a reasonable build of this model with no power or modeling tools at all. No Xacto knives back then: instead, double-edged razor blades with masking tape to protect my fingers, although the glue stuck to my fingers protected them better. Luckily, there was an excellent hobby shop about 25 miles away, but as today, parts could get expensive.

Anyhow, I think the plans are actually excellent, and a real walk down memory lane for me. Hopefully, for you as well. Enjoy.

Oh, and if anyone can clarify if it would be okay to post the remaining pages, I'd be happy to do that.

Back