Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build

The first of the four fuselage frame-undercarriage struts tried out. I used brass tube, flattened it at the ends and drilled 0,6mm holes.
The struts have angles in two directions, so in order to determine the length of the struts I had to refresh my high-school math...

IMG_0455.jpeg

Fit check to check my analysis. So far so good. Three more to go.
IMG_1621.jpeg

Dear Johan. I have no idea why I am so late to your new project, In Afrikaans we have a saying "agteros kom ook in die kraal" (the slowest ox also makes it to the camp), so here I am. This is bound to be a fascinating project - not exactly my cup of tea (when it comes to early planes, I am in love with the Nieuport) but fascinating, nonetheless. And knowing that it is your build, I won't miss it for anything in the world.

Dear Johan. I have no idea why I am so late to your new project, In Afrikaans we have a saying "agteros kom ook in die kraal" (the slowest ox also makes it to the camp), so here I am. This is bound to be a fascinating project - not exactly my cup of tea (when it comes to early planes, I am in love with the Nieuport) but fascinating, nonetheless. And knowing that it is your build, I won't miss it for anything in the world.
You're more than welcome to this exiting little project. Fokker belongs to the pioneers of aviation and as such earned himself ánd the Fokker Spin a place in history.
One thing is certain though, it's a tricky little airplane...

Last edited:
Tentatively, I started work on the Fokker Spider.
First parts selected are the fuselage frame longerons and the undercarriage skids.
Initially I thought the fuselage frame and undercarriage were wooden constructions and could be build separately, but that's not to be; you have to build frame and undercarriage as a single assembly, due to the struts, connecting the two together.
Next step is to determine the struts and the attachment of the struts to the undercarriage and the fuselage.

A poo perspective view of the fuselage and the undercarriage:
View attachment 436837

The skids and longerons, cut and drilled:
View attachment 436836

The intended shapes glued to some leftovers from my Bluenose build:
View attachment 436840

View attachment 436838
Aha, the show has started. A Spin partly made of pear wood. It looks promising, Johan.
Regards, Peter

Back