Flags matching wind direction.

Hoy mates, I've noticed on some models (not on this site but elsewhere) the flags on a square rigged ship are pointing aft as if the wind is coming from the bow. Of course we know the wind, exspecially on a square rigger is mostly from the rear of the ship. The sails are billowing in one direction and the flags are blowing in the opposite direction.
Please set the flags in accordance with the wind in the sails. Some modelers think it looks good with the flags blowing aft and the sails blowing forward... Don't do this, people notice and some will ask about it. As a sailor this is one of the first things I look for on model sailing vessels.
Thank you.

Hoy mates, I've noticed on some models (not on this site but elsewhere) the flags on a square rigged ship are pointing aft as if the wind is coming from the bow. Of course we know the wind, exspecially on a square rigger is mostly from the rear of the ship. The sails are billowing in one direction and the flags are blowing in the opposite direction.
Please set the flags in accordance with the wind in the sails. Some modelers think it looks good with the flags blowing aft and the sails blowing forward... Don't do this, people notice and some will ask about it. As a sailor this is one of the first things I look for on model sailing vessels.
Thank you.
It's the apparent wind that makes the flag fly backwards! ;)

Of course if the ship is in dry dock, and has a flag flying it will fly in the direction the wind is blowing.

...and that is also why the heads - seats of ease - are also at the bow of the ship. To carry away the stench. Pissdials - urinals - were placed along both sides of the deck so the user could point it down wind. Because nobody really likes "getting his own back !"

Aye, also the crews quarters were forward, keeping, (to this day) the age old tradition officers and crew do not mingle.
The forward movement of the ship plowing it's way through waves would wash the bow.

well Stuart.. strictly speaking I think a dorade vent is a specific type of vent; it includes a box that prevents water ingress, while improving airflow.
They where first used on the Olin Stephens designed yacht named Dorade, hence the name;-)
1716730564508.png

here they are on the Amati model of the Dorade..a beautiful ship for sure..1716730677748.png

Please see the following site regarding flag direction relative to the wind.

It's the apparent wind that makes the flag fly backwards! ;)
I stick to my guns..when tacking sharply under certain conditions, the boat speed is greater than the wind speed.. the flag blows towards the stern.
..of course for square riggers this doesn't apply..

Hoy mates, wonderful conversation. I've been sailing most all my life with two years aboard a 96 foot LOA Top Sail Schooner. I'm 65 and I now crew aboard a 70 foot LOD Sloop. On all of the vessels we would set our available course in accordance with the wind. Using the flags and tell tells we would trim the sails. Guess what? The flags blew in the direction the wind was blowing!!! EVERYTIME!!! On all of my models I set the flags in the direction of the wind.
A wonderful way to simulate the flags and the halyards is to use a electric guitar string. Mount the halyard with some bend, (not too much) and paint it to math the running rigging. Now tie on the flags, use thin sheet of plastic that is painted then warped with a heat gun to simulate a waving flag. I think you can see a good example of the video of me showing the red and white five masted Schooner. The flags are painted plastic tied to a painted guitar string showing more wind with flags and halyard pulling away from the mast. The Schooners sails are set on a starboard tack, shes on a broad reach.

Thank you.
Is the ship on a tack? Coming about? Or maybe even a jibe?

Hoy mates, wonderful conversation. I've been sailing most all my life with two years aboard a 96 foot LOA Top Sail Schooner. I'm 65 and I now crew aboard a 70 foot LOD Sloop. On all of the vessels we would set our available course in accordance with the wind. Using the flags and tell tells we would trim the sails. Guess what? The flags blew in the direction the wind was blowing!!! EVERYTIME!!! On all of my models I set the flags in the direction of the wind.
A wonderful way to simulate the flags and the halyards is to use a electric guitar string. Mount the halyard with some bend, (not too much) and paint it to math the running rigging. Now tie on the flags, use thin sheet of plastic that is painted then warped with a heat gun to simulate a waving flag. I think you can see a good example of the video of me showing the red and white five masted Schooner. The flags are painted plastic tied to a painted guitar string showing more wind with flags and halyard pulling away from the mast. The Schooners sails are set on a starboard tack, shes on a broad reach.
Dear James,
Maybe I'm not seeing it on my PC, but I didn't see an attachment to your post that demonstrates what you were referring to.

Back