Fixing yards on a mast?

Hello,
I‘m looking for help.
Since the description of my actual model (Halcon 1:100: Chinese kit) is very poor I wonder how to mount yards ( and mizen-gaff) correctly on a mast at a scooner from 1840 or so. The suggestion of the vendor: „… a drop of glue“.
I guess that the yards are „hanging“ like a picture on a wall, but yards should be movable horizontally in the level?
Should I use „ropes“ around the mast?
I could not find good pictures, and I‘m living far away from the cost - no possibility to have a look at existing ships.
Regarding the gaff the same question: seems that there is one no marked wooden part in my kit looking like a „fork“. Such a part could be movable horizontaly but not vertically … ?
Thanks in advance every tipp welcome!
VBR
Otto

9955C265-FFE5-47BC-BCA2-A62028567D7D.jpeg

I am investigating for you - I will answer in a while.

Here are two build logs on ships of scale that should help you. It seems the first link is a completed construction. See if this helps.

Yards were attached to masts with various slings, ropes, parell bead assemblies, etc. so yards could be moved in every direction. Therefore modeling the rigging for yards can be complex. The resources sited above will help especially the diagrams. Next is how to attach a yard to a mast for modeling purpose. I drill a hole through the yard into the mast at the location I want to attach the yard. Then I pin the yard to the mast as well as a drop of CA gel. The yard is now fixed and I can go about with the rigging.

Jim Daniels is right on track! This is the best & simplest way to attach yards. Especially for smaller scale models, as parell beads, slings, & trusses can be almost impossible to make & attach. Even though I only work in plastic, I look for the best historically correct plans I can find, then tie & add slings, trusses, etc. when the yard is secure. Some rigging can even be made & attached to the yard before you secure it to the mast. This can be tedious work, but usually, it looks real good when you're finished. rick1011

Also, it depends on how large and complex a ship is (yes, they ALL use the same principles). You do have to have a sling, a yard lift, and sail management, but on smaller schooners, it becomes a little more basic and simple.

Yards were attached to masts with various slings, ropes, parell bead assemblies, etc. so yards could be moved in every direction. Therefore modeling the rigging for yards can be complex. The resources sited above will help especially the diagrams. Next is how to attach a yard to a mast for modeling purpose. I drill a hole through the yard into the mast at the location I want to attach the yard. Then I pin the yard to the mast as well as a drop of CA gel. The yard is now fixed and I can go about with the rigging.
I agree with Jim--only way to go if you only have two hands!

Hi Otto, I have that same cheap Halcon kit and for the jaws on the gaff there are 2 split pieces like a Y cut down the middle that are meant to be glued either side of the gaff near the inner end. If you squint they could look like jaws.

20220828_145820.jpg

Hallo,
Thank you very much for all the very interesting tipps and all efforts.
Fix the yards on the mast is still on the agenda. I wanted to start with the besan mast.
I mentioned also the two not marked pieces in the kit but I had no idea how to use them - thank you Ronosaurus! I will add them!
What I did: I saw a boat here on a river nearby but much younger. From that I got the excitation to “create“ a similar construction with help of thin (black) metal sheet. For that I bought a bottle of red wine to get this material from the cork cover…
First I had to do a „depression“ (??? Google interpretor) with a file into the mast. Then the stripe of metal sheet (and a drop of glue) covers that with the new cavity behind.
The besan gaff got an drilling with 0,5mm for a wire. This wire becomes a small hook what fits into the cavity in the mast.
At the end the besan gaff is still movable horizontable. The end of the two gaffs are with „ ropes“ fixed…
Just to add that (your opinion, Ronosaurus?): the „cheap simplified Chinese kit“ is my first attemp. But: I learned a lot about how to work and how to get information about this nice ship - and what is not possible since that seems to be a ship what is still not existing yet. I wonder how to work with a kit what is „ready“ and perfectly.
With very best regards to all friends -
Otto

4A422944-5C65-4A3F-8897-891123BF8640.jpeg

D0C699E0-1B9D-4109-8456-082997C4D2E5.jpeg

Back