First Build: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Hello all. I have been lurking on th site for a bit, reading and learning. As I as looking for a first build I chose the Lowell Grand Banks Dory kit, I like the idea of learning some lessons on each of the kits in the series and the price point is right on. So here I go with a build log......

I liked that I could read the instructions on line before I ordered the kit and then while I was waiting for it to arrive. The bottom went well when I got to the stem and the transom I ran into a tool issue. I had figured that the sanding block above was square but what I didn't notice was that the bottom edge was rounded so the bottom of the pieces weren't square. I think I fixed it in the end and now I get top go to the store and get a square.

I got this far and hope to get the frames built over the next day or two as life permits.
Hallo @Timcastagnola
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello all. I have been lurking on th site for a bit, reading and learning. As I as looking for a first build I chose the Lowell Grand Banks Dory kit, I like the idea of learning some lessons on each of the kits in the series and the price point is right on. So here I go with a build log......

I liked that I could read the instructions on line before I ordered the kit and then while I was waiting for it to arrive. The bottom went well when I got to the stem and the transom I ran into a tool issue. I had figured that the sanding block above was square but what I didn't notice was that the bottom edge was rounded so the bottom of the pieces weren't square. I think I fixed it in the end and now I get top go to the store and get a square.

I got this far and hope to get the frames built over the next day or two as life permits.
Looks like a great beginning! There are a few Dory build logs on here. Don't forget the great Model-Expo deal that if you build the dory and send them a picture of it, they will give you full credit towards the purchase of your next model. One thing I might suggest when you get to the painting. The basswood "grains" when you paint it. You may want to consider several coats of sanding sealer before you paint it (ask me how I know!)

I look forward to watching you build!

Rob

Back