First Build: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Hello all. I have been lurking on th site for a bit, reading and learning. As I as looking for a first build I chose the Lowell Grand Banks Dory kit, I like the idea of learning some lessons on each of the kits in the series and the price point is right on. So here I go with a build log......

1690717739086.png
1690717924914.png

I liked that I could read the instructions on line before I ordered the kit and then while I was waiting for it to arrive. The bottom went well when I got to the stem and the transom I ran into a tool issue. I had figured that the sanding block above was square but what I didn't notice was that the bottom edge was rounded so the bottom of the pieces weren't square. I think I fixed it in the end and now I get top go to the store and get a square.

1690718455316.png

I got this far and hope to get the frames built over the next day or two as life permits.

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I am very happy, that you decided to start this building log - it is a very good introduction
Have fun with our common hobby and also here in our forum - we will try to help when ever necessary

I love it! I will follow with as much interest as I have in much more elaborate builds on this forum. I have a lot to learn from it. Thanks for sharing!

Pete

I was able to do a little work this last week. I got the frames made up. The pieces being on the small side an so light gave me a bit of trouble but part of this is learning patience.

1691277051415.png

I found out that when the instructions say to use a light hand they mean it.

1691277168465.png

Luckily it is all part of the learning curve and I haven't run out of glue yet. Everything fits well and set up to dry over night before I get it ready to start planking. All of the lessons I have learned so far have been good ones.

1691277354639.png

Looks like your off to a good start on this.

Even though they sell this as a beginners kit, I recently ordered one, and they had a special, if you build the dory and send them photo of completed model, they give you store credit to by the other two in the series. I figured it was worth the cost of one to get two free for a photo.

Your process and pictures are very instructive. Looks pretty challenging to me. Like Chuck Berry said "Just because it's simple, that don't make it easy."

I was able to do a little work this last week. I got the frames made up. The pieces being on the small side an so light gave me a bit of trouble but part of this is learning patience.

View attachment 388280

I found out that when the instructions say to use a light hand they mean it.

View attachment 388281

Luckily it is all part of the learning curve and I haven't run out of glue yet. Everything fits well and set up to dry over night before I get it ready to start planking. All of the lessons I have learned so far have been good ones.

View attachment 388282
Good morning. All looking spot on. Welcome to SoS, and enjoy. Cheers Grant

Thank you all for the kind words of welcome, I love community. Sanding (fairing?) the frames went pretty well as did tapering the garboard. I soaked it and have it bent over the frames drying and hoping for the best.

1691341225814.png

1691341300105.png

It will probably be a day or two before I get to the glue up.......I think I'll go buy more clamps first.

Back