First Build: Amati Rainbow (J-Class)

I. Introduction.

This is my first model ship, and my first model of anything since adolescence. I'm in no particular rush to finish her, although I do have a personal goal of completing the model before summer. Want to say thank you in advance for all of your guys's posts and advice collected on this forum; part of the reason I feel confident enough to begin this project is because of the wealth of information I have discovered here and across other hobbyist forums. Again, thank you!

I have two major goals. First is to treat this project as a learning experience. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect to learn. Point of fact, I'm approaching this much the same way I approach a new recipe: give it a shot, learn about what works and what doesn't, jot down notes so next time things go more smoothly.

The second goal is to end up with something aesthetically pleasing vice something historically accurate. While I respect the history of sailing tremendously, and enjoy sailing myself when I find the time, my intention is to end up with something that, well, looks nice. So if certain choices are ahistorical, so be it (within reason -- I'm not going to put miniature jetpacks on deck).

A. Why this model?

I chose the Amati Rainbow because, one, I love the J-class's aesthetics (see aforementioned goal 2) and internet research indicated Amati's model was approachable for the novice (see aforementioned goal 1). In addition, I have seen a few other Amati J-Class models being built both here and on youtube, upon which I fully intend to rely. Put directly, the Amati J-class is well-trod ground, and I hope to learn from the successes (and mistakes) of the good people before me.

B. Tools, materials, and so on.

I have not purchased much in the way of tools, though I have some very simple woodworking tools from other hobbies, including a nice sanding block, some knives, files, and so on. I generally plan on ordering what I need as I go, rather than buying up everything all at once and likely finding that some tools are unnecessary.

In addition, the Amati model I purchased comes with a few random tools, and the store my wife purchased this from threw in some wood glues etc.

C. Experience.

Very minimal. I have enjoyed woodworking with handtools, mostly carving, and I feel fairly comfortable with finishing (shellacs, gels, and so on). Otherwise, I am a complete novice.

II. Unboxing.

The Amati box has nothing in the way of filler or protective foam, but everything is in one piece (a minor miracle, given this was shipped through the APO system quite literally across the world). Scale is 1:80, total length is 46 cm. Kit number, for future reference, is 1700/11.

A. Instructions.

The main instruction booklet is in Italian, with a booklet providing English translations to match the main instruction booklet. That is a bit confusing, so to explain it simply, the Italian booklet contains instructions and pictures; the English booklet has the instruction text only, meaning that I will be using the Italian booklet for pictures and English booklet for instructions.

There are two large diagrams for sails / rigging, and then the blocks and tackling on deck. Too early to tell how clear these diagrams are, but I can already tell I'll very much appreciate their generous size, which would seem to make these smaller parts easy to see.

B. Included tools.

Just FYSA, the included tools differed marginally from the tools pictured on the box, but I don't know how much I care. The quality appears mediocre, and I expect I'll mostly be tossing them eventually. But for the sake of the bank account I'll give them a fair shake before determining whether to replace them.

C. Punchboard

Is punchboard the appropriate term? Whatever it is, the plywood (I believe) boards with the wooden parts are lasercut, which will require sanding. No big deal there. I have labeled all the parts with pencil corresponding to their piece number in the manual.

D. Tackling and blocks, etc.

All come in sealed plastic baggies, further placed in molded plastic trays. A nice little touch I didn't expect, should help keep things a bit organized. I have a feeling I'll be using the plastic trays for mixing paints and glues more than for actually holding all the little bits in plastic baggies, but we'll see.

III. Keel Construction.

Using a scalpel I removed the main portions of the keel (pieces 1, 2, and 3) as well as reinforcements (pieces 5 and 7). I sanded any abrasions flat. Interestingly, there is a minor discrepancy between the cutouts and the instructions -- piece 5 in the instructions is one rectangular part, while the actual parts I have are split into pieces 4 and 5, each of which is square. I examined the manual and made sure part 4 is not used elsewhere, and I will likely use it to reinforce the keel alongside piece 5.

In multiple posts from various places, builders have routinely emphasized keeping the keel straight, without bends, which could affect the shape of the ship and ruin the model. Mine appears to sit quite flat, though I understand glue can warp as it cures, so I will be keeping a lookout for that before gluing any of the frames into place. Might be overkill, but I'll be clamping the reinforcements as well, just to be sure nothing goes awry. Would hate myself if I ruined the model on the first step!

The only bend is a slight dip, which you can see below (note the white line running from bow to stern, showing a gap in the middle section of the keel). I think that's okay? In examining the plans, there does appear to be a slight dip, though unsure whether this is natural. I could sand it down flat, but I an concerned that the amount of wood I would have to take off (particularly at the stern) would significantly weaken the place where the final frame attaches to the keel.

In any case, welcome tips on this particular issue! I have to order wood glue from Amazon and it takes about two weeks for packages to arrive at my destination, so I'm not in any rush.

keel1.jpeg
Note the slight dip along the upper keel. The bow and stern are both aligned on the same white line, but the middle of the keel dips slightly.

This is my first model boat build and like you I like the beauty of the J class

It is going well, first and second planking completed. Deck planked and drilled, currently working on mast and deck furniture.
image.jpg
It is worth taking your time to ensure the bulkheads are all in the correct place and square and shaped well, makes the planking a lot easy and gives a better result.

This is my first model boat build and like you I like the beauty of the J class

It is going well, first and second planking completed. Deck planked and drilled, currently working on mast and deck furniture.
[
It is worth taking your time to ensure the bulkheads are all in the correct place and square and shaped well, makes the planking a lot easy and gives a better result.

Deck planking looks excellent, as does the hull! Very impressive, hope mine turns out like that.

Will definitely take my time with the bulkheads. I'm thinking of making a false deck with paper and a right angle straight edge to make sure the bulkheads go on properly.

Dry fitted the keel and and bulkheads. There were two big surprises:

First, the pieces fit very loosely. Other models I had seen suggested Amati had cut the parts with smaller gaps and required some filing or sanding to get the pieces to fit snugly. But on my model, the pieces do not fit snugly at all. All this to say that gluing them with the appropriate accuracy will be important, and I'm toying around with how to do that efficiently.

Second, the pieces are a bit short. Amati's instructions indicate you should sand down the tips of the bulkheads to match the flat edge of the keel, but at the bow, the last two pieces of bulkhead barely reach the edge of the keel in the first place! Kind of unexpected.

In the first photo, you can see how the bulkhead tips stick out from the keel and need to be filed down (as the instructions say), versus the second photo, where it appears the keel will have to be sanded down to match the tips of the bulkheads. You can also see how loosely the bulkheads fit in the keel; not snug or tight.

keel_and_bulkhead2.jpeg

keel_and_bulkhead1.jpeg

You can add 'shims' to any that are short. I used the 3mm x 1mm first planking on the outside of the bulkhead on both sides.

It's been a little bit since the last update, but I've made some progress. Hull is complete and I've moved on to planking. So far, it's looking more or less okay, though I'm certainly learning some lessons that I'll take with me both for the walnut planking on this model and for other ships. The biggest thing I wish I had done prior to planking was to really check the alignment of the bulkheads. I tried to do this more or less by eye and with a straight edge, which did give me nice 90 degree angles. However, when sanding down the bulkheads prior to planking, I was more or less "guessing" what the angle should be, usually by applying a strip of planking to see how things fit.

That was fine -- except it has resulted in some unevenness between port and starboard. Nothing that I think will make the model look terrible in the end, but something I'm not incredibly proud of.

The problem with doing a single strip of planking as a test is that I was actually getting less accurate information than I had anticipated; e.g., I was really focused on shaping things near the deck, but neglected things farther towards the bottom of the hull. Additionally, using a test plank did give me a better sense of how to shape one side, but unfortunately, it also didn't give me a good sense of symmetry.

Finally, I screwed up one or two of the bow pieces of planking, there's an ugly gap in one spot that I'm embarrassed about. But again, as I look towards the actual walnut planking, I'm going to be very much more deliberate about this process. Very glad this model makes you plank twice.

For what it's worth, I've been using gorilla wood glue along with binder clips (no nails, haven't really seen the need to be honest). The one exception is the stern. I was finding that the bend in the planks there was too extreme for wood glue to hold very well, so I used instant glue (PVA), which came with my purchase. It's definitely trickier to work with, ended up with a stuck finger or two, but I'm getting the hang of it.

One other thing: I'm noticing the planks aren't all quite "level" with each other, in terms of thickness. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong here. But basically, one plank might stick out slightly above his brother, creating a kind of stepladder in some areas of the planking. This of course will all be sanded down without too much issue (he says, trying to convince himself this is true), but something to note.

One last thing: I sort of did away with Amati's instructions to plank the bow separately. Just doesn't seem necessary, when you can easily just keep the pieces whole? I hope it's okay, hasn't really caused me any issues so far . . .

Anyway, here it is right now.

planking2.jpegplanking1.jpegplanking_bow.jpegplanking_stern.jpeg

A beautifull form of a hull - the ship was a real beauty - and fast

Back