Figureheads

I'm starting to think about a figurehead for the Discovery1789. I've done a lot of surfing and as near as I can figure for this period it would be a lion or a female figure of some sort. The Discovery was probably a merchantman purchased by the Navy when she was almost finished and the Navy raised the quarterdeck and the foredeck, but I have no idea if the figurehead was already in place or if the Navy got to choose it. Anything I found on the net is rather vague about time periods. Is there a figurehead expert out there that could help steer my choice a bit?

I'm starting to think about a figurehead for the Discovery1789. I've done a lot of surfing and as near as I can figure for this period it would be a lion or a female figure of some sort. The Discovery was probably a merchantman purchased by the Navy when she was almost finished and the Navy raised the quarterdeck and the foredeck, but I have no idea if the figurehead was already in place or if the Navy got to choose it. Anything I found on the net is rather vague about time periods. Is there a figurehead expert out there that could help steer my choice a bit?
Hi Don,
I typed in Discovery 1789 figurehead and found this photo.
If you zoom in it looks like a males head.
I don't know if this helps.

8021964403_5c23650ccb_b.jpg

When I type in Discovery1789 all I get is my posts. This one and my build log. Anyway, I think I've seen this ship before and it really isn't a good representation of the Discovery. I can't find it now but can you post a direct link to that picture so I can get a closer look at the rest of the ship. I would like to see the stern a little better.

When I type in Discovery1789 all I get is my posts. This one and my build log. Anyway, I think I've seen this ship before and it really isn't a good representation of the Discovery. I can't find it now but can you post a direct link to that picture so I can get a closer look at the rest of the ship. I would like to see the stern a little better.
Hi Don,
This is the link to the photo.

Thanks. I did some more looking and found another model that has a different figurehead wearing a blue dress, so I think whoever built them were guessing like me. I found a picture of the collection figureheads at the Cutty Sark website and 90% of them are women. The thing is only going to be an inch tall so there won't be much detail.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks. I did some more looking and found another model that has a different figurehead wearing a blue dress, so I think whoever built them were guessing like me. I found a picture of the collection figureheads at the Cutty Sark website and 90% of them are women. The thing is only going to be an inch tall so there won't be much detail.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
You are welcome, shame I could not find better photos.
Just to throw in more confusion.
If you look at this kit It looks like a man using a telescope dressed in blue.

And you can make out the same thing in this kit.

Hmm That would be appropriate for a ship named Discovery. Hard to carve. I think the second one was the one that I thought was a woman in a blue dress. Thank you again

The first one could be Capt George himself. That's kind of vain :)

Last edited:
I have found this figurehead in internet.from that perspective one can not recognize exactly whether the guy is trying to discover what is ahead or makes an italian insulting sign with his arms;)Because it is not an italian ship probably the first suggestion should be the right one.

F5D8498C-C550-412B-9857-A3A796ABCEC7.png

32C4914E-9CAD-4F70-A8EE-9FBACC34D0C6.png

I have found this figurehead in internet.from that perspective one can not recognize exactly whether the guy is trying to discover what is ahead or makes an italian insulting sign with his arms;)Because it is not an italian ship probably the first suggestion should be the right one.

View attachment 333735

View attachment 333736
such a figurehead shown on this kit could be based on pure phantasie of a kit developer .......

I kind of agree with Uwe on this one. I'm thinking that whoever built this Discovery was in the same pickle as I am. What to use as a figurehead? His answer was very clever as a man with a telescope does kind of say "discovery". That said, I don't think it's true to the period. No reason, just a gut feel. I'm leaning toward a female figure. A very subdued fully clothed woman. Not because I'm a prude or anything, I just have this idea that the Discovery was just a tool of George Vancouver. No romantic attachment, just sort of a work truck. Dunno why, just a feeling from reading his journals.

Carving is not the easiest thing to do, and that is much better than I could do.
I think the Chin needs to be more slender. (she looks like she has a beard.)

Have you thought about using Super Sculpy Clay ? you can work it for ages and when you are satisfied with it you then bake it to harden it.
Then a coat of paint and nobody will know.

Thanks for the comment. My wife also suggested that the chin and nose were too big. The chin reduction went well but I botched the nose. I'll try again. It's very hard on my old hands so maybe not today. I had thought of Sculpy but I'm not planning on painting anything so it would look out of place. It also wouldn't be wood and if I can't be true to the form of the figurehead I can at least be true to the material :)

Thanks for the comment. My wife also suggested that the chin and nose were too big. The chin reduction went well but I botched the nose. I'll try again. It's very hard on my old hands so maybe not today. I had thought of Sculpy but I'm not planning on painting anything so it would look out of place. It also wouldn't be wood and if I can't be true to the form of the figurehead I can at least be true to the material :)
I am not an expert but there must be also a possibility to finish the figureheads by 3d printing instead of carving,molding or kneading.Is it that complicated?

The problem I can see with 3D printing is the learning curve. I'm old so I don't learn so fast anymore. You have to purchase the printer and the software and then learn to use the software. I have tried to use some CAD and it didn't go that well. I think I can probably do a dozen carvings in the time it would take learn even a small part of 3D printing. :)

The problem I can see with 3D printing is the learning curve. I'm old so I don't learn so fast anymore. You have to purchase the printer and the software and then learn to use the software. I have tried to use some CAD and it didn't go that well. I think I can probably do a dozen carvings in the time it would take learn even a small part of 3D printing. :)
You may want commission one of the Chinese designer for a boxwood Cnc figurhead

Back