Fairing MDF bulkheads -- need urgent advice

I'm working on my first POB ship model. It is the Lady Nelson from Amati. My plan is to follow the nice, complete, videos on the Amati FB page, done by Modelers' Shipyard. My concern is that the instructor fairs the bulkhead edges, deadwood, stem, etc with a file. (Some recommended a dremel, others warn that they can easily take too much off). I've just tried a bit of fairing, starting with the top of the transom bulkhead and the file delamimated one corner of it very quickly. It also seems to fray the MDF instead of cutting the fibres. What could the problem be? Cheap file? (It is but are pricey ones better?) Should I use sandpaper on a flat block and some on a 1" dowel to simulate the effect of a half round file? If so what grit? Should I use my dremel? I put it aside before I totally mess it up. I thought I would check with you all. I know MDF is widely accepted and shaped, so there must be a better way. The fit of the parts is outstanding in terms of interlocking.

If you know how to handle a dremel in such a case it is working well, but Like you wrote, can be problematic.
So I also agree with Brian to make it carefully with a sanding paper or stick.

Don´t be afraid to make something wrong. The Lady Nelson is a very good kit and I think with double planking of the hull.
Also smaller errors with fairing the bulkheads are no big problem. Take this kit as a learning project, other tasks will come and you have to get experience with the different construction methods.
I also advise you to start a building log of your actual project. Here you can show with some photos the status of your work. We are able to give directly some hints and comments when necessary and answer you questions if requested.
We are happy to help and give a guidance.....

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I've read what everyone has had to say about MDF, including Chris Watton, so I know it will work, I was just a bit surprised at the result. I will go the sandpaper route. It is how I shaped my half hull model, and when I think about it, fairing the sides of that are a lot like fairing the bulkheads. It is just that it was popular, not soft, fibrous material. I wonder if the earlier versions of the Lady Nelson used plywood for bulkheads, and that is what Leon G is working in the video? In the video, a file worked wonders.

If you know how to handle a dremel in such a case it is working well, but Like you wrote, can be problematic.
So I also agree with Brian to make it carefully with a sanding paper or stick.

Don´t be afraid to make something wrong. The Lady Nelson is a very good kit and I think with double planking of the hull.
Also smaller errors with fairing the bulkheads are no big problem. Take this kit as a learning project, other tasks will come and you have to get experience with the different construction methods.
I also advise you to start a building log of your actual project. Here you can show with some photos the status of your work. We are able to give directly some hints and comments when necessary and answer you questions if requested.
We are happy to help and give a guidance.....
OK. I will open a build log over in that forum.

Maybe consolidate the edges of the MDF with a coat of thinned varnish or shellac before trying to sand it.

Back