Fair American - Plans Question

While checking out the plans, I came across an item that I had previously missed. As shown on the plan, it shows an item called the Bulwark Sheave. I thought maybe I had missed it, but checking all the plans and the instruction book, I find no mention of a bulwark sheave. I am assuming that it is a sheave that is mounted into the bulwark. I think it would require some prep before planking the bulwark. Any thoughts? Pretty sure I will pass on this item.

Bulwark Sheave.jpg

It's also called a "fixed block".
I appreciate the input. I went from the SWIFT pilot boat as my first build, and then to the Fair American as my second build. The learning curve is very large. Not very impressed with the plans. This part with the "fixed block" is a good example. Absolutely no mention of it anywhere in the plans/instructions.

In real ship, there would be a Pully "Sheave block" mounted in bulwark at angle for rigging line, most models of this scale, its a slit drilled in when planking is done, as you can't see sheave when rigging line is pulled thru.

I've seen modelers build a small box with the sheave in it and retro-fit it into the bulwark, but it is easier to provide for it before the planking goes on

The real fixed blocks were removable for repair so I figure I should be able to install them anytime :). I haven't done them yet on the Discovery. It should be just cut a square hole in the bulwarks and slide the fixed block in---- I hope:)

A lot of this all depends on the scale of ship, anything in smaller scales you would never see the fine details, but larger scales it would stand out as excellent representation.

If you look closely at your plan set you may discover several like items. What I do is model these in place after all the finish planking is installed. I drill two hole close together the length of the sheave and using a sharp no. 11 blade carve out the wood between the holes. Then I place a round piece of wood to fit the opening but leaving holes on each end for the rigging to simulate a sheave in place. But I model all of these bulwark sheaves after finish planking is complete. Hope this makes sense for you…

If you look closely at your plan set you may discover several like items. What I do is model these in place after all the finish planking is installed. I drill two hole close together the length of the sheave and using a sharp no. 11 blade carve out the wood between the holes. Then I place a round piece of wood to fit the opening but leaving holes on each end for the rigging to simulate a sheave in place. But I model all of these bulwark sheaves after finish planking is complete. Hope this makes sense for you…
Jim, thanks ever so much. That advice will be very helpful. The description of the kit states "requires previous model building experience". What it should say is this kit is a high intermediate skill level. I have seen a couple of other comments about the kit that state the same thing regarding the skill level. Thanks again.

Back