Eye See

Looking to buy a “headband magnifier”? I think that’s what it’s called. If you have input on this please advise what model is the best in your opinion. I’ve been checking out what is available on Amazon but it’s difficult to tell which ones are better than the others.
Thanks
John

ABSOLUTELY! My magnifying headset is very important for doing detailed work, including rigging. However, many of them are expensive. I bough a very cheap one like this one on Amazon: Headset

The light switch broke about a year ago, so I strapped an LED light to the top of it with some rubber bands.... still working. The plastic lenses are in a single band across the eyes, so you aren't distracted by the edges. It is not the most robust headband, but it has worked for 4 years and is still in use. The knobs on the side can be adjusted so the lenses cant be lifted or lowered or locked in the lowered place so they don't move when you don't want them to. The band adjustment on mine is just wearing out to the point where it may expand on its own if it's too tight on your head. For the price, I thought these were a great value and essential for model work. This is especially true for tying strops on tiny 2mm blocks, and I've done at least 100 of those on my current build.

1644004592561.png

Last edited:
Magnifiers! I have hand held, jewelers loupes, clip-on loupes, dental headset, frankly I am a sucker for magnifying gizmos. Of course I won't pay for quality. ;-)

I have two favorites, both available on amazon

These are my old standby: good optics, cheap, reasonably comfortable. I have a lighted version but once you add batteries they get heavy

SmartSelect_20220204-150020_Amazon.jpg

Lately I have been using these clip ons. These are very light and it is easy to forget they are there. You have to straighten them every so often but you never have to set them down to find your glasses. A flip and they are at hand. There are many times I prefer the head band but these get a lot of general use.

SmartSelect_20220204-150517_Amazon.jpg

I use the 4 diopter set.

Fair Winds.. Ed

Last edited:
Yikes $13 on Amazon and $39 on Amazon.ca for the ones that Kurt posted. I know our dollar is in the toilet but yikes.
I try to avoid Amazon like the plague. If you search on an item too many times on Amazon the price seems to adjust upwards. Shipping is often outrageous. I have previously had books delivered in terrible packaging, extensively damaged and it was not the mail service fault. I sometimes think this company is a classic case of profits over customers. I use other book sellers now.

Looking to buy a “headband magnifier”? I think that’s what it’s called. If you have input on this please advise what model is the best in your opinion. I’ve been checking out what is available on Amazon but it’s difficult to tell which ones are better than the others.
Thanks
John
I have the Optivisor with a magnifying loupe. My magnifier lenses are 2.5. It’s a comfortable handy head piece.

You might check the local hardware or hobby shops, they sometimes carry the simple cheap versions for sale.

Or check Micro Mark out. They have an Optivisor set for $65

I have a big trunk full of my Dad's HO train stuff from the 60's-70's. I think there's a visor in there. I can remember him wearing it. I'll dig around in there.

Back