Esping in 1:64 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Work continues apace on the esping.

First, I added the 'stringer' that runs along the length of the hull. I'm sure it adds some strength, but it also provides a place for the seats to 'notch' into. I'm certain it has a name :confused:...

Even a little boat needs lots of clamps:

View attachment 343945

Here it is in place from later in the day:

View attachment 343946

The cap rail (?) is constructed from two components - an inner band and an outer band. See here the actual boat:

View attachment 343951

The inner band is 1mm thick (tall) and 2 mm wide. I didn't think I would be able to bend a strip of wood to match the contours of this inner band (it basically sits on top of the frames), so I cut one from sheet stock. First, a template that could be used for transferring the shape of the boat...

View attachment 343944

And then, having installed the inner band (what a nightmare it was to fit), I was able to bend a 1.5 square strip to form the outer band. Here is the completed rail from above:

View attachment 343947

In the image above you can also the tapering board that lies at the centerline and sits on the frames. A closer look:

View attachment 343948

Protruding through the inner portion of the rail there are fin-shaped things. They have something to do with the leeboards (you can also see the notches for the seats on the 'stringer'):

View attachment 343949

And a parting look from the side:

View attachment 343950

I'm still really enjoying this little boat. Lots of challenging steps - but progress is experienced on a daily basis rather than on a monthly basis...

Thanks for stopping by!
Looking great. In the whaleboat I did, the "stringer" was called the "thwart rising". I am not certain the nomenclature would be the same, however.

Thanks to Peter's keen observation I have now installed a sheave at the bow (thank you kindly @PJenssen):

IMG_8984.JPG

Today I dedicated myself to creating the windlass. I imagined all sorts of ways I could make this and settled on trying to use my new(ish) mill. Sadly, I couldn't figure out how to use one of the accessories (remember, I have no skills in the man-arts) and by the time @Jimsky schooled me I was already done. I may make another one because my goal was to learn how to use my mill.

Anyway, what I ended up doing is turn a cylinder on my lathe and then cut in the flat portions using files (the center 1/3rd will have additional faces filed into it thus reducing the bulbous shape).

IMG_8967.JPG

In place:

IMG_8972.JPG

Here you can see the bracket the windlass rests in:

IMG_8973.JPG

I had a bit more modeling time, so I added the seats. At this point everything is just dry-fit except for the most forward seat:

IMG_8977.JPG

The forward seat has inset into it a shaft/column for the mast, as well as two battens that go forward to the bow. A fiddly bit of construction to be sure...

IMG_8979.JPG

While the middle seats are all removable - the fore and aft seats are fixed in place. I did manage to complete the brackets that hold the forward seat in place:

IMG_8980.JPG

I have reached the tolerance of pearwood with these tiny brackets. The grain is too coarse, and they want to crumble...

One more look at the windlass as a parting shot:

IMG_8983.JPG

This little boat is just so much fun to work on! More than once I've had thoughts that I could just make these for a while...

I appreciate that you would take to time to visit!

Thanks to Peter's keen observation I have now installed a sheave at the bow (thank you kindly @PJenssen):

View attachment 344461

Today I dedicated myself to creating the windlass. I imagined all sorts of ways I could make this and settled on trying to use my new(ish) mill. Sadly, I couldn't figure out how to use one of the accessories (remember, I have no skills in the man-arts) and by the time @Jimsky schooled me I was already done. I may make another one because my goal was to learn how to use my mill.

Anyway, what I ended up doing is turn a cylinder on my lathe and then cut in the flat portions using files (the center 1/3rd will have additional faces filed into it thus reducing the bulbous shape).

View attachment 344454

In place:

View attachment 344455

View attachment 344456

I had a bit more modeling time, so I added the seats. At this point everything is just dry-fit except for the most forward seat:

View attachment 344457

The forward seat has inset into it a shaft/column for the mast, as well as two battens that go forward to the bow. A fiddly bit of construction to be sure...

View attachment 344458

While the middle seats are all removable - the fore and aft seats are fixed in place. I did manage to complete the brackets that hold the forward seat in place:

View attachment 344459

I have reached the tolerance of pearwood with these tiny brackets. The grain is too coarse, and they want to crumble...

View attachment 344460

This little boat is just so much fun to work on! More than once I've had thoughts that I could just make these for a while...

Doc, did they only have openings in windlass on two flats, I have see some where all 4 sides had spots for levers to be inserted, as with only two side opposite you may have hard time getting 180 rotation to be able to insert next lever to keep rotating. Just wondering.

Great work your doing from plans and photos.

You’re hired Paul. I have four small ships boats to build for my Connie and the kit uses a pancake approach. Just like hollowing out a canoe from a log :(
I’ll send you the dimensions required. :)
Yes, I saw your post earlier today. I just shook my head no ROTF.

Though our colleague Roger (@RogerD) had the same challenge and he did an admirable job:

Doc, did they only have openings in windlass on two flats, I have see some where all 4 sides had spots for levers to be inserted, as with only two side opposite you may have hard time getting 180 rotation to be able to insert next lever to keep rotating. Just wondering.

Great work your doing from plans and photos.
There are six flats with three available lever locations - the third one is just facing down so you can't see it (or maybe I didn't bother - you'll never know ROTF).

Looking great Paul.One tip with a really small part in an absorbent timber like Pear is to drench the piece in thin CA before shaping. it won't crumble and the dark colour will blend in when you add the finish.You will need to glue the piece to the model with CA or epoxy as the wood glue will no longer bite to the part.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 344461

View attachment 344454

In place:

View attachment 344455

View attachment 344456

View attachment 344457

View attachment 344458

View attachment 344459

View attachment 344460

Good morning Paul. I find you sneaking this little boat into the scratch build logs- only 6 pages so farROTF. My loss so far. For your first scratch boat (as with you Vasa being your first) your work is that of a seasoned modeler.

Brilliant Paul and it will look awesome next to your Vasa. You going to put them both in the same case?
Cheers Grant

View attachment 344461

View attachment 344454

In place:

View attachment 344455

View attachment 344456

View attachment 344457

View attachment 344458

View attachment 344459

View attachment 344460

Fantastic work yet again sir.
I know just how tricky this small work can be.

Last edited:

View attachment 344461

View attachment 344454

In place:

View attachment 344455

View attachment 344456

View attachment 344457

View attachment 344458

View attachment 344459

View attachment 344460

Hi Paul,

Using a mill for this is rather tricky because of the convex shape. Keep in mind the original qas just made with an adze.
I must say your boat look fantastic, the cherry on the cake for your vasa.

Good morning Paul. I find you sneaking this little boat into the scratch build logs- only 6 pages so farROTF. My loss so far. For your first scratch boat (as with you Vasa being your first) your work is that of a seasoned modeler.

Brilliant Paul and it will look awesome next to your Vasa. You going to put them both in the same case?
Cheers Grant
My goal is to keep this build log under 10 pages - that will bring my average to just over 100 :rolleyes:.

Yes, I'll put the esping in the case with the mother ship. Not sure precisely how just yet. Sitting on a stand at the waterline?

Maarten I was thinking is this "kechelpipe English" or not? In English they say normally "top of the bill" or "icing on the cake". Do they use the expression "Cherry on the cake"? I'm asking myself.
Hi Stephan,

It is actually an English idiom, same like cherry on top or indeed icing on the cake.
So no steenkolen Engels :) .

But of course we are not native speaking English and I am not using google translate, so expect everything -) :)

Hi Stephan,

It is actually an English idiom, same like cherry on top or indeed icing on the cake.
So no steenkolen Engels :) .

But of course we are not native speaking English and I am not using google translate, so expect everything -) :)
Hey Stephan your translations are great, but one must remember that English is not the same everywhere, as the Brits have different meanings for a term as us Americans do, and most Brits will say they had the language first, so they are correct.

Back