Duyfken 1/50 scale - Kolderstock

I know, that the replica has the two gunports in the stern.

6D3432F7-21E2-4737-AF1D-C054168FCCEA.png DSC00967.JPG

As I remember there was for longer time a discussion, if these guns were possible in reality, because of the very limited width of this area and the need for space of handling these guns next to each other. But the stern of the Dyfken was in general under discussion - I do not know, what is the latest status of the research....
Maybe you want to read this article written by Karl Heinz Marquardt

If you want to show the gunports, you should try to calculate the real size of such gunport lids in your scale of 1:50. In my opinion, it is not a question of taste if 8*8mm or 11*11mm fits better

11mm would be 55cm
8mm would be only 40cm

Based on this measures, I would say, that 55cm would fit much better for a gun port lid.
Based on the first photo above, you could also try to find out the size of the lid in relation to the total width of ships and compared to your model

I know, that the replica has the two gunports in the stern.

View attachment 207617 View attachment 207619

As I remember there was for longer time a discussion, if these guns were possible in reality, because of the very limited width of this area and the need for space of handling these guns next to each other. But the stern of the Dyfken was in general under discussion - I do not know, what is the latest status of the research....
Maybe you want to read this article written by Karl Heinz Marquardt

If you want to show the gunports, you should try to calculate the real size of such gunport lids in your scale of 1:50. In my opinion, it is not a question of taste if 8*8mm or 11*11mm fits better

11mm would be 55cm
8mm would be only 40cm

Based on this measures, I would say, that 55cm would fit much better for a gun port lid.
Based on the first photo above, you could also try to find out the size of the lid in relation to the total width of ships and compared to your model

Hi Uwe,

What a great article. A lot of information to digest. Thank you for providing it.

Jan

I went back to your pictures and definitely I will be using the 8 mm doors , if this were my built.

Modelers choice :)

Great job you are doing !!
Best
Daniel

I went back to your pictures and definitely I will be using the 8 mm doors , if this were my built.

Modelers choice :)

Great job you are doing !!
Best
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. My Admiral has also voted for the 8mm doors. I plan to completely finish all those bits before that frame is mounted and permanently fixed to the keel.

Jan

Yet another build :), you will be a busy man.

The picture of the model looks great as well as the pictures of the real thing.
That must be nice to have a working model to go to for accuracy and definition.

Hmmm, maybe a reason to vacation to there? :D

Good times, keep rowing on.

Rowboat out.

Yet another build :), you will be a busy man.

The picture of the model looks great as well as the pictures of the real thing.
That must be nice to have a working model to go to for accuracy and definition.

Hmmm, maybe a reason to vacation to there? :D

Good times, keep rowing on.

Rowboat out.

Yes indeed, I try to keep busy. Ever since retirement I’ve tried to figure out how I ever found time to work at a real job.

This little ship is a great kit, exceptional material and great instructions. Also Hans, (designer of the kit) is a member of SOS, he’s only a keystroke away when one hits a build snag.

Jan

Suggestion:

View attachment 205598

The Spiegel would look great with door sills, frames and veranda. Many Dutch builders do this and it gives an amazing feeling to depth to the stern.

Gunports: Horizontal measurement: 10mm / Vertical 11 mm. That is what I used on the Haarlem.

Hi Heinrich,

I had some time today and wanted to do something different so I started working on your suggestions.

C07E81E0-6A19-4D12-A943-99C853E68E84.jpeg

I still need to fill in the area above the doors. What do think about the rest of the framing.

Jan

At the time of the replica design and afterwards as well there was a big fight between Karl Marquardt and Nick Burningham. As Burningham became the marine architect of the replica Marquardt became increasingly bitter and his criticism got overheated and personal. The two had quite different ideas about the design and as Burningham's had been accepted Marquardt wrote a number of contra-articles, rubbishing Burningham's work. As there is little historical proof about Duyfken's appearance and hull details (fore castle, masts, beakhead bulkhead, etc) there are different approaches how Duyfken COULD HAVE LOOKED. In the Sydney Maritime Museum there is, even today, a model of Duyfken, which is completely different from both Burningham's and Marquardt's approach. I think this is a dispute which can not be solved and we probably never will know how Duyfken really looked. For me, personally, Burningham's approach looks very much acceptable.
For the rear gunport covers there is one thing which has to be taken into consideration, according to which these openings might not have been gunports at all. For simplicity and uniformity they look like one and the same gunport lids were used, but these openings served most likely for loading and unloading of food, cargo, ammunition etc. so exact dimensions, internal tightness etc. might not matter.
Just my two cents...
János

Jan I like it lots! That is what I meant by depth. Now it doesn't look as if the doors are just stuck on - they look inserted, which is much more realistic! Thumbs-Up

At the time of the replica design and afterwards as well there was a big fight between Karl Marquardt and Nick Burningham. As Burningham became the marine architect of the replica Marquardt became increasingly bitter and his criticism got overheated and personal. The two had quite different ideas about the design and as Burningham's had been accepted Marquardt wrote a number of contra-articles, rubbishing Burningham's work. As there is little historical proof about Duyfken's appearance and hull details (fore castle, masts, beakhead bulkhead, etc) there are different approaches how Duyfken COULD HAVE LOOKED. In the Sydney Maritime Museum there is, even today, a model of Duyfken, which is completely different from both Burningham's and Marquardt's approach. I think this is a dispute which can not be solved and we probably never will know how Duyfken really looked. For me, personally, Burningham's approach looks very much acceptable.
For the rear gunport covers there is one thing which has to be taken into consideration, according to which these openings might not have been gunports at all. For simplicity and uniformity they look like one and the same gunport lids were used, but these openings served most likely for loading and unloading of food, cargo, ammunition etc. so exact dimensions, internal tightness etc. might not matter.
Just my two cents...
János
Hi Janos,

That is great bit of information. Right or wrong it’s always good to know the history behind the actual product. I’m enjoying working on Kolderstok’s model of the Duyfken. So it’s fantastic to get background information to go with this build.

Jan

Another odd piece done:

I probably approached this part of the build backwards.The wall is planked with the planks overlapping and has a door added also. I chose to plank, then cut in the recess for the door. Others would probably have added the door and planked around it.

9B290D11-C0BA-4098-B235-0CF3EBCB92B0_1_201_a.jpeg

I added two round ports and dummy gun port doors to the stern piece. The small round ports shown in the pictures of the replica Duyfken fit nicely with the smaller gun port doors. The replica Duyfken pictures shows them being used with tie down lines from the stern to the dock

Jan

Last edited:
Hi Heinrich,

I had some time today and wanted to do something different so I started working on your suggestions.

View attachment 219839

I still need to fill in the area above the doors. What do think about the rest of the framing.

Jan
I am following your work and I think I will be trying a similar thing adding borders around doors and windows to add some depth on my build of the 1577 Revenge.

Back