Drum sander, thickness sander DIY (with plans)

On the marketplace I bought an extra Proxxon DB250, many parts of which I used to expand my previously purchased Proxxon lathe. Replaced a few worn parts and I was left with a complete motor housing. I didn't have to think long what to do with that. I wanted to make a thickness sander. I will show here how I did it. But also good to see how to do it if you have another drive left over, like a table sander or a drill, for example. The principle is the same only you have to make a few adjustments.
First, I started with the sliding table and adjusting mechanism.

001.JPG

I used for construction some parts I bought in China (see parts list in pdf) and plywood in thickness 12 and 22 mm.
In the construction drawing you can see that I used parts A through F for this and the parts from the order list 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8.
I use part 8 instead of the one that comes with the rod. because this one don't have backlash

002.JPG

Part 5 I used to fix the bearing housing in B

003.JPG
004.JPG
005.jpg

I used slats and a 123 block to ensure that part C runs parallel to B
Then I used super glue to put parts D against it. And afterwards secured it with screws. On the inside as support part E

006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG

To fit the tabletop F, I use paper strips to adjust the tabletop. You see I use a glass to work on. This is more accurate when measuring things out.

009.JPG010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG013.JPG

On the outside I attached a hardwood strip to make sure this will glide the table steady, when I adjust it.
Man, I wished I had a drum sander to make sure the hardwood strip is perfect in thickness. I did it with a piece of sandpaper and a lot of measurements to adjust it.

014.JPG

In between, I made the drum that the sandpaper will go around. This I made from 200 thick cherry wood that I have lying around. With the hole drill I made 60 mm. round discs and fixed them on the rod (part 7) with glue that connects wood and metal.

015.JPG016.JPG

Then I started assembling the base where the adjustable table, drum and motor will be.
Again, used paper strips to get the parts G and H perpendicular to each other. Fastened everything from below with screws. And finally strip K mounted on top. The distance between the two plates G is determined by the width of the adjustable table.

017.JPG018.JPG019.JPG

The drum on it after you have measured out where it should go. This is done by setting the table to its extreme position and then putting the drum on it, making sure that there is no space between the table and the drum. If you turn the table back the distance between drum and table will increase. This is quite a bit of measuring and precision. Make sure the axis is perpendicular to the walls.

020.JPG

The motor can be adjust

021.JPG

How you do this depends on what motor you use. If you use the same like I did you can put pieces of wood under the housing which can be screwed to the screwholes under the housing. Than make a table to fit the motor to. Just by measurement. In the last picture you can see how I did this, but there are many ways to do so. Make sure you put a coupler between the axe to make sure that every dis-alignment is capture by the coupler. It is listed in the parts list.

022.JPG

I made the dust cover from an old plastic pipe which I sawed in half and then fitted to the whole. At the end I put a vacuum cleaner nozzle which fits the vacuum cleaner. Make sure you can remove the hood.

023.JPG024.JPG

Now you can fit the drum and sand it smooth. I did this with a glass plate that I taped sandpaper to. By holding it under the spinning roller you make sure that the distance of the roller is the same in all places. The direction of rotation of the drum is always against the workpiece. Keep that in mind.

025.JPG

Max of pictures, I will go further in the next post.

Last edited:
While sanding the drum, the motor got very hot and I realized that indeed it has to work harder now. I solved this problem by opening up the top of the housing and mounting a small computer fan on it that I had left in a box. Power supply of 12 Volts to it and the whole thing is cooled. (Suction effect)

026.JPG

Then I placed the sanding cloth, which I wrapped diagonally around it and cut to size. By making a flat piece at the end of the drum and placing a screw socket in it, I can fix the sanding sheet there.

027.JPG

The machine is ready after everything is assembled and a first test gives a perfect result.

028.JPG029.JPG030.jpg

Thanks for reading this DIY

Attached are the pdf files needed.

If there are any questions I would love to hear about them.

Attachments

• partlist.pdf
    333.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Thickness sanderl A1.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 144
Hi Steef,

Great build, very inventive. You just saved €400,-.

If the motor is still getting to hot you can decide to decrease the diameter of your sanding drum, this will reduce the torque on the motor and therefore decrease the load and temperature.

Very impressive and ingenious, Steph!! I love the DIY projects you made. But the real pint, now you can sand your own boards. I have to ask one more question: "What's next on your radar?

Oh... great idea, I am in! We have some articles on DIY micro chisels (tools & jigs section), and the posts also have reference materials as well.
First one done, 1,5 mm tungsten (carbon) steel round hollow tip. It cuts like a knife in butter.

IMG_2722.JPGIMG_2723.JPGIMG_2724.JPGIMG_2727.JPGIMG_2728.JPG

The next one will be 3 mm tungsten, same cut. Really a nice job to do. The price for this one is about 1 euro on materials.
But first I gonna read my today arrived book.

Great work once again Stephan,
A thickness sander and now micro chisels.

I am guessing the file used is a diamond coated file.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thanks Stephen, not Diamond but needle files Swiss quality, believe me these are a must have in our hobby. Precise and sharp.

Thanks Stephen, not Diamond but needle files Swiss quality, believe me these are a must have in our hobby. Precise and sharp.
Sorry Stephan,
My mistake I thought you were shaping tungsten carbide.
I already have a good selection of needle files, which do the job even if they are quite old.

Cheers,
Stephen.

thought you were shaping tungsten carbide
No sorry please. But yes I was shaping Tungsten carbite steel. Chinees Tungsten must I say, maybe that's why it works.
I use little shisels which are already sharpen and have a shisel form. Got a lot of them. They cut very wel in wood, sharp and stay sharp.
The round ones are useless. They are just under an angles like a straight one.
So this one I hollowed out with the files, not easy and takes a while, it is hard steel. I also use the edge of a 1000 wetstone to shape it. After that sharpening on the wet stones 1000/6000/12000 and then polish on balsawood with polish paste.
The next one I gonna try is 3 mm. I doubt if I can use the files again. I also have diamond disks for the dremel. The MF70 could be a help with that one.

Back