Doubling (the area where two connecting masts run in parallel)

I have been looking for any kind of formula or resource that provides numerical advice as to how far the overlap between two masts (e.g., lower mast, topmast) of a given length, diameter, and perhaps wood type, should be. This area of overlap is called the doubling. My time period is 1750 to 1825 (I assume today this would be a detailed engineering computation, but not back then). Anyone have any recommended sources? TYVM.

I have been looking for any kind of formula or resource that provides numerical advice as to how far the overlap between two masts (e.g., lower mast, topmast) of a given length, diameter, and perhaps wood type, should be. This area of overlap is called the doubling. My time period is 1750 to 1825 (I assume today this would be a detailed engineering computation, but not back then). Anyone have any recommended sources? TYVM.
I do not have the book by hand now, but I could imagine, that there is some information given in James Lees book

another possibility (for french ships, but maybe also british) could be the 3.rd volume of the 74-gun ship from Jean Boudriot

and maybe also the Underhill

As I know, the doubling (length between the cap and the hounds is often also called "top" or "head", and it is the difference of hounded length of the mast and measured length of the mast counted from the mast foot - so there are some difinitions and rules (I think)

post-21-017910500 1480625604.jpg

Maybe this contemporary book can also help (it is from 1843)

I find the more dificult part of doubling is the shape of the upper masts butt. I have seen both octagonal and hexagonal bases. It seems, in American ships anyway, that butt shape changes every few years or so?

I have send you a PM - hope these information are helping

Hallo @Jeffrey Modell
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back